Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade Domain Controller HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Upgrade Domain Controller HELP

    Hi
    Hello... I need a little help. I try to upgrade my Domain Controller from windows 2000 to windows 2003. I run the forestprep and the domainprep on this server.

    Right now I have another domain server running in a windows 2003 with replication to my Domain Controller "the server that I will update to windows 2003"

    My question is: When I upgrade my DC to windows 2003, I need to shut down my second domain "Windows 2003 Replication Domain" or what I need to do with this second server?

    Thanks for help me...

  • #2
    Re: Upgrade Domain Controller HELP

    If you already have a 2K3 domain controller, why not do it the graceful way:

    Transfer FSMO to the second DC
    DCPromo the 2000 box to stop it being a DC

    Install 2K3, either as an upgrade or fresh install

    Test it is OK

    DCPromo to put it back up to a DC
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Upgrade Domain Controller HELP

      Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      If you already have a 2K3 domain controller, why not do it the graceful way:

      Transfer FSMO to the second DC
      DCPromo the 2000 box to stop it being a DC

      Install 2K3, either as an upgrade or fresh install

      Test it is OK

      DCPromo to put it back up to a DC

      Thanks for this suggestion...

      But I want to upgrade my current DC without promote any second domain. I dont want to do many changes on my configurations.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Upgrade Domain Controller HELP

        Originally posted by heman85 View Post
        Right now I have another domain server running in a windows 2003 with replication to my Domain Controller "the server that I will update to windows 2003"
        You are not creating a second domain, you are using the fact that you have a second Windows 2003 domain controller -- or did I misunderstand the above quote from your first post?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Upgrade Domain Controller HELP

          Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          You are not creating a second domain, you are using the fact that you have a second Windows 2003 domain controller -- or did I misunderstand the above quote from your first post?
          I have a Replication Server running in windows 2003

          My question is when I upgrade my DC to windows 2003, What I do with this 2nd Replication DC?

          Comment

          Working...
          X