Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VSS running as a schedule- what is it doing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VSS running as a schedule- what is it doing?

Our W2K3 SP2 file server, CLA-SRV, is also a link in the DFS (G:\Shared is a branch in the DFS). I have noticed two scheduled tasks on this server:

Task1:
    Command:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\vssadmin.exe Create Shadow /AutoRetry=5 /For=\\?\Volume{2f246d04-ce67-11d9-a693-505054503030}\

Schedule:
    At 7am every M, T, W, T, F of each week
    At 12pm every M, T, W, T, F of each week
    Task2:
    Command:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\vssadmin.exe Create Shadow /AutoRetry=5 /For=\\?\Volume{2f246d04-ce67-11d9-a693-505054503030}\

Schedule:
    At 7am every M, T, W, T, F of each week
    At 12pm every M, T, W, T, F of each week
    They look exactly the same!

I understand that the VSS command makes shadow copies but how do I make sense of what is being shadowed above? Why are there two schedules which appear to be the same task? Where is the data being shadowed to?

I've looked at the properties of drive G, and found the following in the Shadow Copies tab:

Volume...Next Run Time...Shares...Used
    C:\......Disabled........2
    G:\......Disabled........4
    H:\......Disabled........4........18341 MB on H:\
    I:\......Disabled........2

In the "Shadow copies of selected volume" listbox:
    8/5/2008 7:00 AM
    7/5/2008 12:00 PM
    7/5/2008 7:00 AM
    6/5/2008 12:00 PM
    6/5/2008 7:00 AM

It looks to me that the schedule(s) are creating the shadow copies, but why are the scheduled tasks being used instead of the scheduling facilities in the Properties tab?
    Last edited by JDMils; 8th May 2008, 02:22.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: VSS running as a schedule- what is it doing?

The Shadow Copies tab creates the scheduled tasks, in the same way as NTBackup (GUI version) creates scheduled tasks when you create a scheduled backup job

As to why you see two copies, I don't know!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I think someone tried to enable the shadowcopy twice and thus it created the schedule twice.

One question, I created a shadow copy of the D drive on the PER-SRVLN server, which contains 25 GB, although the actual shared folder which is used in the DFS only contains 1 GB. What is going to be shadow copied, the 25 GB or the 1 GB? Where does the copy end up? I think it ends up in the drive specified in the Settings dialog when I click the Settings button on the Shadow Copies tab.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

If I'm not mistaken it will create a shadow copy of anything that changes on the entire volume. The shadow copies will be stored where ever you have specified in the storage location in the shadow copy settings.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken it will create a shadow copy of anything that changes on the entire volume.
          Ahhhh, I see, that makes a lot of sense. I should therefore move the shared folder to it's own volume so that changes to other folders are not uselessly recorded.

One thing tho, I chose a folder on the DFS which has not been updated since 27th Feb 2008, then checked what was showing under the Previous Versions tab in the Properties page for that folder. Although the one file in that folder had not been modified, there was a Folder Version listed for it twice, for every day of the week, for 7am and 12 pm.

I would think it illogical that the Shadow Copy service would make a copy of the file so many times when the file has not changed so I presume it's just showing the past run times of the SC schedule. Thanks JoeQwerty.

EDIT: I did the same thing but only on the file itself and it indeed only shows the file in the past only when it had changed which is exactly what I was looking for!
          Last edited by JDMils; 21st May 2008, 03:52.
          |
          +-- JDMils
          |
          |

Comment

Glad you sorted it out.

Comment

Working...
            X