Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Migrate these users from a NT4 server to a win 2003 server with a different name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate these users from a NT4 server to a win 2003 server with a different name

I need a vbs script to

1) Find out what users are using what printers

2)Migrate these users from a NT4 server to a win 2003 server with a different name and have

them map to the same printers they were mapped to before.

3)Have the mappings to the old print servfer deleted

4)Redo their default printer to the one they had before on the new 2003 printer.

We are talking about 70 printers, 400 users. The print queues are already on the win2003

server and have the same printer names, its just the name of the new server is different.

I've looked all over the web for one and can't find it. I hope you can help.

Thanks

Re: Migrate these users from a NT4 server to a win 2003 server with a different name

1) Find out what users are using what printers
    How are your users connected to the printers? Do they connect via a combination of logon scipt & AD groups? This is what we do. We have an AD group for each printer. Users are assigned to the groups when they require access. The logon script then maps the printers to the users. Also, these groups control who has access to each printer by putting the group in the printer's security tab.

If they do not already connect this way then I suggest you set it up. It's a bit of work but I can't think of any other way to do this. Makes management a breeze tho.

2)Migrate these users from a NT4 server to a win 2003 server with a different name and have
    You can't migrate users b/w servers, only domains. If you have two domains, New.local & Old.local, then MS gives you a tool to do just this.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Comment

Working...
    X