Access Server 2003 shares without authentication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access Server 2003 shares without authentication

I am trying to set up my server 2003 as a file server for my local network. (there is no AD in place)

When browsing to the shares from other computers on the LAN, they are prompted for a username and password. If I input a valid one, then I have no problem browsing the shared resources.

Ideally however, I would like the computers to be able to access these resources WITHOUT entering any username/password. Is there any way to do this with server 2003? (without implementing AD)

Re: Access Server 2003 shares without authentication

There are two potential ways of doing this:

1. Create username/passwords on the server that match username/passwords on the workstations. When the users attempt to access shares on the server Windows will use pass-through authentication to allow the user access.

2. Have the user access the share and when prompted for the username/password check the box that says "remember my password". The user will never again be prompted for a username/password for this share.

Comment

Option 1 sounds like a great idea!

thank you for the quick reply...

Comment

You can also enable the Guest account and change the security model gpo to Guest.

Comment

Just another idea, depending on your requirements.....
          You can publish the folder as a web page, and they can download them from an internal like site. The benefit is they cannot change or delete them, the drawback is they cannot change or delete them.
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
            ....The benefit is they cannot change or delete them, the drawback is they cannot change or delete them.
            ROFL!
            |
            +-- JDMils
            |
            +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
            |

Comment

Working...
            X