Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browse website without preappending www

Hi,

I am not able to navigate to our website without prefixing www.

i.e we would like to be able to type myDomain.com into IE without having to
    type www.myDomain.com

I have checked out DNS - see the screenshot.

http://www.box.net/shared/7vrlahow8w

Also, already gone to domain in DNS console and right click and create a new
    host - where the name is black and the IP address is the IP address of the
    website.

So when I do a nslookup from inside the domain I get the domain controllers
    and IP address of the website.

the other thing is that we are using root hints and their are no forwarders.
    Also the website is hosted by an external company.

So what could be wrong?

Thanks

Re: Browse website without preappending www

A bit beyond my knowledge but I believe it needs a host header setup so will need to be done by your external company.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

What DNS did you change? Local?

Have you double checked that the name server you added the record to is the one registered with the website?

It may be that there is a different name server out there that needs to have the A record entered into it.
      Stacey Smith
      Sr. Systems Engineer

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane --Samuel Clemens

Comment

So you're saying that you have a domain A record that points to the same ip address as the web site? I don't see it in your zone file.
        Last edited by joeqwerty; 7th May 2008, 23:36.

Comment

If you're website is www.website.com and your internal DNS servers are authoritive for website.com internal clients will not resolve http://website.com to the proper IP.

You either have your external presense use a different name from your internal domain (.local vs .com) or you stick with prefixing www which is the case for a lot of folks.

Comment

Even with split brain DNS you can accomplish what you want. If your internal DNS is domain.local and your external DNS is domain.com you can create an internal zone called domain.com and populate it with the same A, MX, and CNAME records as your external DNS and this will cause all of your internal clients to resolve domain.com via the internal DNS. If your internal and external DNS namespaces are the same then simply add the appropriate A, MX, and CNAME records to the internal DNS that point to the appropriate ip addresses. The key is that you need a domain A record somewhere that points to the ip address of your web server. This sounds more complicated than it really is.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
              Even with split brain DNS you can accomplish what you want. If your internal DNS is domain.local and your external DNS is domain.com you can create an internal zone called domain.com and populate it with the same A, MX, and CNAME records as your external DNS and this will cause all of your internal clients to resolve domain.com via the internal DNS. If your internal and external DNS namespaces are the same then simply add the appropriate A, MX, and CNAME records to the internal DNS that point to the appropriate ip addresses. The key is that you need a domain A record somewhere that points to the ip address of your web server. This sounds more complicated than it really is.
              How is the second part going to work with AD?

domainname.com is used internally for a few things, example DFS nameserver resolution, if I make an entry for domainname.com with the IP of an external web server, this is going to screw up requests depending which server the client looks at.

Comment

You're right, I didn't think of that. In this case a domain A record that points to an external ip address probably would goof things up. Sorry about that. If the internal and external namespaces are the same then I think there probably is no solution that will work.

Comment

If you have a website hosted on a 3rd party's server then if this web site is to be accessible via the internet, then your problem is most likely with your external DNS provider, the company which hosts the DNS records for the web site. You need to have two DNS entries:

www.myDomain.com => xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                  myDomain.com => xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

If this website is only used by internal users of the local "parkinson.ca" domain, then maybe you could create an alias on your DNS server like "myDom.com" which would forward to the www address?
                  |
                  +-- JDMils
                  |
                  +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
                  |

Comment

Well that fact he's using the external DNS as the internal one will cause him problems in resolving his externally hosted website.
                    Despite your best efforts to conceal your domain name you still left parkinson.ca at the top of the window. Nice try though
                    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I left the domain name out just for anonymity.

Anyways, let me give my thoughts/comments.

We are hosting the external DNS using an outside provider who also host the website.

>>JDMils

the external company has those two entries i.e.

www.myDomain.com => xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                      myDomain.com => xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

The website is to be used by internal and external users. It is accessible via the internet without preappending the www [but for internally can only browse to it after appending www]

I have tried to create a alais but get the following error:

"A new record cannot be created. An alias (CNAME) record cannot be added to this DNS name. The DNS name contains records that are incompatible with the CNAME record"

Thanks for your help.

Comment

With your setup there is no way to do this natively for your internal clients.

You will need to look into some sort of proxy software.

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xx
                          |
                          +-- JDMils
                          |
                          |

Comment

Try this:
                            If the DNS is not setup correctly, internal users cannot access our website.

The way I fixed that was by first deleting all host records that were
                            automatically added upon the creation of the zone.

Ie. (same as parent folder) HOST 'Ip Address'
                            In my case one 4 each network adapter

I then created a Host record call website,
                            appended to my zone the record now reads "website.domain.com"

Then I created 3 aliases.

www HOST 'website.domain.com'
                            mail HOST 'website.domian.com'
                            (same as parent folder) HOST 'website.domain.com'

When creating the last alias I left the alias name blank and clicked on the popup.

Now employees on the internal network can get to our website either by
                            visiting "www.domain.com", "domain.com" and access mail by settin
                            their pop server to "mail.domain.com"
                            Let me know how you go with this....
                            |
                            +-- JDMils
                            |
                            |

Comment

Working...
                            X