No announcement yet.

changing to dynamic disk's for purpose of raid1

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing to dynamic disk's for purpose of raid1

Hello all,
    I have a Compaq 1u server that has 2 IDE drives in it rather than SCSI and I am only using one drive for the moment but I want to use the other one in a Raid 1 configuration.
    I think I have to make both drives dynamic in order to accomplish this and then you will have a choice of simple, spanned, striped, and mirrored.
    Is there any danger to converting them to dynamic due to all my data is on that drive. I have daily backups done but of course I dont want to have to use them.
    Of course I am talking about Microsft's built in raid option not using a raid controller card which I wish this came with.
    I have a IDE raid controller card that I bought for a different server but I dont trust it because it crashed my other machine after a clean install of 2000 server.

I have converted from Basic to Dynamic many times and haven't lost any data ......yet, but I have ALWAYS backed up data for the Justin factor (just in case it does stuff up). If you don't already have one, I strongly recommend a UPS for this machine. If you have a power failure then it can take quite some time for the drives to resync after a dirty shutdown.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015