Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 AD and Vista

Hi Guys,
    Looking for some assistance with windows 2003 r2 and vista. I would like to add vista workstations and have them managed centrally on the windows 2003 domain controller via the default domain group policy group policy. I would like to make these changes so that the users will not be able to change any security settings on their local machines. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Re: Windows 2003 AD and Vista

If they aren't local admins then they are restricted significantly anyway. Is there a specific thing you don't want them to be able to do that they can currently?

Have a look at this too:
    http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...icy-Part1.html
    Last edited by AndyJG247; 6th May 2008, 08:59.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi Andy
      Thanks for your response. You know that in windows 2003, you can simply edit the default domain security policy and that would push the security settings for the workstations. All you need to do is simply go through the list and enable or disable what you would like or would not like e.g. logon locally, password policy etc i would like to do the same but i only have windows vista workstations and a windows 2003 r2 server. How can i do this?

As for your question, some users will be local administrators & also domain users, and some users will be only domain users.

Also i would like to add printers to the policy so that when a user joins the domain with their vista workstation, all of the printers will be installed already.

Can you help me? Thanks again.

Comment

It's actually recommended that you don't edit the default domain policy but to instead create your own to run along side. This way it's easier to revert to the default settings.
        Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

But how do i get the windows 2003 r2 domain security policy push the security settings for the Vista workstations? I don't think that by default windows 2003 policy can be pushed out to Vista clients without changes made.

Also how do i get the printers added to the same policy so that when a user joins the domain with their vista workstation, all of the printers will be installed already.

I still dont know how to get the policy for the windows 2003 r2 server to manage the vista clients e.g. by going through the list and enable or disable the settings that are needed e.g. logon locally, password policy

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

A few links that may help:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

It tried the solutions but no luck as yet.
              I am starting to get the idea that this is not possible. Can windows 2003 R2 actually manage vista workstations? e.g. so that if i add additional vista computers, they would get the policies from the 2003 server without any user interaction required? And can i actually define all the security settings on the windows 2003 server for vista?

i tried the suggested responses but no luck and i even tried combining what i have learned but still no luck.

Thanks for any help.

Comment

Working...
              X