SQL 2000 question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL 2000 question

At one of my clients they have an file management application which relies on SQL. So on one server I have Windows 2003 w/ SQL Server 2000 installed. The OS partition is 12GB and the Data partition is 400GB. The problem I am encountering is the OS partition is running out of space. I have found out the culprit and maybe someone could help.

There is a file named hbw_Log.LDF, this file is located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data, it is 5GB's in size (HBW is the name of the organization) Can I move this to the data partition? Can I shrink its size? Will moving it to another partition cause performance issues?
    Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Re: SQL 2000 question

This is the SQL server log file -- vital to allow recovery of data if the server crashes.

The good news is there is no problem (apart from performance) if it is on the D partition (presumably where the database is)

I will dig out instructions for moving it -- it is fairly straightforward
    Edit--
    e.g. http://www.experts-exchange.com/Data..._21770199.html
    Note database will have to go off line.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Is this a pretty big hit in performance? Can I delete or trim the file size down?
      Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Comment

Originally posted by brcmadmin View Post
        Is this a pretty big hit in performance? Can I delete or trim the file size down?
        Perf depends on what you're doing in the DB, your HW, etc.

RE: shrinkage. First thing to try (assuming you back up the SQL Server database properly) is as follows:
        Start/Programs/Microsoft SQL Server/Enterprise Manager

Open up your server then:

Databases/<database>/Right-click/All Tasks/Shrink Database/OK
        If that doesn't shrink the file then you need to look at your backup strategy OR truncate the log as follows:

1) Read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272318 in its entirety.

2) Find the <database log> in Enterprise Manager:
        Databases/<database>/Right-click/Properties/Transaction Log/File Name
        3) Start/Programs/Microsoft SQL Server/Query Analyzer:
        USE <database>

go

BACKUP LOG <database> WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY -- note the caveats in the MS article

go

DBCC SHRINKFILE(<database log>,2)

go
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
        X