Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't logon to Win2K3 server- it's already activated?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't logon to Win2K3 server- it's already activated?

I'm working on a server at work at the mo (it's 9pm Sat night). This server was giving us major problems where the network conenction would suddenly die and no matter how many reboots or IP-fix batch files we ran, sometimes it would connect to the rest of the network other times it still wouldn't.

We decided it was time to re-install the OS, but by doing a Repair as we needed to keep the apps on the server else it would mean a rather long and monotonous weekend for me to re-install each app. This is a DMZ server with no AD connections.

When I completed the repair, I got to the logon dialog where I logged onto the machine using the local user's admin account. I next received a dialog stating "You cannot log on until you activate Windows". My options were Yes, No, Cancel.

"Yes" would give me the dialog stating that the OS was already activated, "No" would get me back to the logon prompt and "Cancel" would shutdown the server.

Safe mode does the same thing.

Is there any way I can get into the OS to deactivate it so that I can the re-activate it?

There is a method which involves the Narrator which I can't use as I do not get the "Let's activate Windows" dialog so I can't see any way out but to do a FULL re-install. You know how I fell about that!!

Thanks.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Can't logon to Win2K3 server- it's already activated?

How about of taking a call with MS............?

Regards,
    Kapil Sharma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

I've already spent 4 hours with MS and they still haven't helped. I'm waiting for a call back but as you can see it's getting late and i need to have this server up by tomorrow.

I suppose I need to re-install the OS. Oh, well.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
        I'm working on a server at work at the mo (it's 9pm Sat night). This server was giving us major problems where the network conenction would suddenly die and no matter how many reboots or IP-fix batch files we ran, sometimes it would connect to the rest of the network other times it still wouldn't.
        Just out of curiosity, why do you think it's a software problem? Personally, I'd think it's a physical issue (loose / damaged ethernet cable, or port, or something along those lines) before I delved into software.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Why do I think it's a software problem???

I put in a new NIC, replaced the CAT5 cable to the wall, move the server to the router and plugged it straight in.

When I had the problem, there was a batch file which I ran (which I got from the net somewhere) which resets all the DNS, IP, etc settings. 80% of the times it would fix the issue for about 10 minutes then the server would go down.

When I re-installed the server OS, I installed over the top of the old one to preserve the disk contents and when I installed the AV it found a trojan in the file msimg.dll in the Internet Explorer folder which I deleted immediately!
          |
          +-- JDMils
          |
          |

Comment

Working...
          X