No announcement yet.

Join 2003 Server (Client) to 2008 Domain, DNS timeouts

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Join 2003 Server (Client) to 2008 Domain, DNS timeouts

I have an established network on, DC, and workstations.

I recently added a new server (for testing) to the network (same subnet) and then made this server a DC on its own domain aswell.

Windows XP workstations (and Virtual Machines) all connect to the test domain fine, but when I tried to add a Windows 2003 Virtual Machine to the domain (clean install, no AD, DNS, DHCP) it fails with the following output:
    Note: This information is intended for a network administrator.  If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.
    The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain home-test.local:
    The error was: "This operation returned because the timeout period expired."
    (error code 0x000005B4 ERROR_TIMEOUT)
    The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.home-test.local
    The DNS servers used by this computer for name resolution are not responding. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:
    Verify that this computer is connected to the network, that these are the correct DNS server IP addresses, and that at least one of the DNS servers is running.
    For more information on how to correct this problem, click Help.
    The network settings are setup indentical to the XP ones.

IP - Dynamic
    DNS - Static ( Windows 2008 DC

nslookup shows:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nslookup win-vdkisvri4ta
    DNS request timed out.
        timeout was 2 seconds.
    *** Can't find server name for address Timed out
    Server:  UnKnown
    DNS request timed out.
        timeout was 2 seconds.
    *** Request to UnKnown timed-out
    i) pinging is fine.
    ii) returns the IIS7 welcome page.
    iii) nslookup to the Production Windows 2003 DC is fine.

Is there a know bug with Windows 2003 logging on to a Windows 2008 domain?

Thanks for your time,

Re: Join 2003 Server (Client) to 2008 Domain, DNS timeouts

Nope, I've got a w2k3 member server connected to a windows 2008 domain fine.

The server could be "unknown" in your nslookup due to not having a reverse DNS lookup zone configured, but that should not have stopped you connecting to the domain.

Can you ping the server by it's host name, that way we would know if it's using netbios for name resolution.

I dont think this would fix it but it's worth a try, try removing the nic from the system and then restarting it to allow it to find it and install all the required drivers again.

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Nope, I can't ping the 2008 servers name (win-vdkisvri4ta) I added the entry to the host file and pings to win-vdkisvri4ta worked (obviously) but nslookup and joining the domain didn't. Did you say this could be a NetBios issue?

The server is a Dell PowerEdge and the nic is on the motherboard.

Thanks, PaulG.

If I ping the 2008 domain name (win-vdkisvri4ta) it takes about 10 seconds to display the IP (which it does resolve to the WRONG IP) then the requests fail as the wrong IP is not on the network.

but again adding it to the host file works fine in IE and Command Prompt, but still wont join the domain.

The fact that every other system on the network can nslookup to the 2008 server and the windows 2003 can't seems to be the obvious problem.

To Clarify:

1. Pysical Production DC's (2003|2003SBS) can nslookup and resolve 2008 name.
        2. Pysical Workstaions and VM's can nslookup and resolve 2008 name.
        3. A win 2003 VM on the 2008 server cannot nslookup and resolves to wrong IP.

Thanks, PaulG.

I think it should work for you, as it did for me:

Kapil Sharma
          Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Thanks for the link, however all those have been attempted (disabling firewalls, and local DNS).

The problem seems to be a bug in VMServer on Windows 2008 with a Windows 2003 guest! Installing the new VMServer Beta fixed the DNS problems and allowed the Windows 2003 workstation to join the domain, however like must Betas it also added more bugs to the install, so the system is being re-installed with Windows 2003 for the Host.

Thanks for your time people.