Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reseaching Rights for Workstations PLEASE HELP ASAP!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reseaching Rights for Workstations PLEASE HELP ASAP!!

Hey guys im a bit into a slump

ok i have been working on a server for a client who has about 10+ workstatoins that use proprietary software to log a database on the server using SQL.

so heres my problem each machine needs to have registry rights and prolly some some other rights as well for ex: rights to install software. im still kinda new to the whole AD System and i understand that u can put each workstation as a Admin to there own personal PC that which wont affect the server or server setttings. so how do i set the client workstations to have Admin rights or full rights to there own workstations? while using there indavidual profile names.

now i've add each user profile to every possble group that would admin capablities however that only works on a windows 2000 server not a windows 2003 server, at least thats my understanding

here are the server details.

scsi base server windows 2003

Client stations
    5 xp and 2 win 98 and 2 vista

also im haveing issuses getting Vista to join the domain something with the DNS not recoized or something PLEASE HELP ASAP!!

Re: Reseaching Rights for Workstations PLEASE HELP ASAP!!

If you have been adding users to every group then you will likely cause major problems, I really hope you made a record of your changes?

Local administrators has a group on each PC therefore you can add an individual to the local group by logging onto the machine as an administrator and right-click and select manage when over the My Computer icon. This then shows you the Users and Groups entries. You can use the Administrators Group and add in the users.

Win98 is very different and everyone has full rights unless you start using policies.

With the Vista issue we will need more information including the exact error message.

Please also, do not type in all upper case like your title, we can read lower case too.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Re: Reseaching Rights for Workstations please help asap

sorry about the capital letters!

ok. so if i right click my computer and drop the users in a admin group.

now i have backups of my changes and each User account is part of a admin control. ex: Dhcp, enterprise, etc..

however when u logon to the user account on a client workstation it still does not have the rights to fully excute the client program, cuz of the user account restrictions so each local pc or workstations needs to have full rights to there pc or a very loosely govern workstation

so i dont know which admin group to put the users in...

Comment

Re: Reseaching Rights for Workstations please help asap!!

No probs.

If you add a specific user to the group called administrators on the local PC then they will have full control over it, this is of course how it is meant to be however you also get group policy where you can restrict users rights. If your users in question have restrictions in group policy then you will probably find it won't matter which group you add them to.
        It gets more complicated now of course.

1st, what errors do you get and what application (if you can say) is it you are trying to install.
        2nd, can you log on as one of these users and open a command prompt. type "gpresult > c:\gpresult.txt" or on vista maybe "gpresult /R > c:\gpresult.txt"

this should give a txt file in C: which you can paste for us. This should show the group policy applied and we can then get you to look for this.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

ok in the client program the users need to set rights for Cliconfg and open op name pipes and tcp/ip. and i can't manage those pips if the users are restricted. although would i be able to make a logon scrit for each user that would enable those pips? the pipes are use to generate reports for the program that they use.

also they have installs of MS Office and it goes haywire when its logon to the network under the user, ex: when u click IE it opens a box and says installing MS Office. and other applactions. i belive this is some issuse reguarding registry entrys or something. either way i can't make system changes on the clients workstations.

btw i think the g-policy that u explained might help a ton i need to get that post to u ASAP. i will be online on this topic all day. this issuse is extremely important cuz they whole system is down.

Comment

NOTE: THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO DO! It's obviously a big security risk. Neither myself nor the forum nor anyone else takes responsibility for YOUR decisions and actions!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ON AN XP PRO COMPUTER THAT IS ON THE DOMAIN:

If you want to set a Domain User to have Admin rights for that computer only:

Right click My Computer, Select MANAGE.

Select Local Users and Groups
            Select Groups
            Double click Administrators
            Hit Add
            Enter in "Domain Users" and hit ok on everything.

Log off, log in as any domain user. They will have full access to do ANYTHING to the computer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO DO! It's obviously a big security risk. Neither myself nor the forum nor anyone else takes responsibility for YOUR decisions and actions!
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

when i try to logon as a Admin on the Domain it says the Domain isn't availble but if i logon as a User Name it works????

being apart of the same domain

Comment

The computer fell off the network somehow. You'll have to unjoin it, reboot, add to domain again, reboot.
                ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X