Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Share + NTFS Permission, user can not change file, help

Hi all,

My company using Domain Based DFS with W2K3 R2 for Files Server ...

Now, I discovered a big problems, the supervisor ask me make a folder, it save the MS Word, Excel files, both Office 2003 and 2007 format ...

He ask me just give the user the permission that can help him change the content of those files, but can not delete them, all can read the files ...

Then I base on the parents folder, it have a user group and all are "Read" attribe like travel folder, read files etc.

Then I press the "Write" on the folder ...

The I login with the user, make the abc.txt files to test the permission ..

It work on the abc.txt, okay ..

But on Excel or Word files, when those user try change the content and then press save ... all not work, display permission deny ...

Only can change this folder to adding the "Modify" att. then those user can change and add content to those files under this folder ...

But they can del too, I am wonder, why the write permission just can effect the .txt file only, but Word or Excel files will can not let the user save?

I have give the supervisor "Full Control" on the parents before, but check that he had not change anything here ...

I am lose on this...

Anyone can help me, 1000x Thank you.

Re: Network Share + NTFS Permission, user can not change file, help

First, there is this MS article with a good explanation of meanings of the different NTFS permissions. This article is also a good one.
    When a user changes the content of a file, the original file is deleted and the new one is saved instead. When dealing with Office files, the process is more complicate, because the Office applications create additional files whenever you open a file (those temporary files starting with ~, that are used for AutoSaving and/or File Recovery). So this issue is a bit tricky...
    What about Volume Shadow Copy?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Assign Modify permissions to the Creator/Owner group. This allows Office to create/delete all the temps files it needs.

Comment

Thank you the useful inform.

Comment

Hi, explorer1979.
          Don't forget to post back and tell us if Meekrobe's advice solved your problem. This way, users that will search for the same problem in the future will know how to solve it too...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X