Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Group Policy Not Applying

Hi,

I have two domain controllers in a forest, each controlling its own domain.

I have about 10 computers joined to the domain called "Mentors." The users on the Mentors domain are within an OU called Mentors. The computers on the mentors domain are in an OU called Mentor Computers.

I have two GPOs set up: Mentors User Policy, and Mentors Computer Policy. The User Policy is linked to the Mentors OU that's composed of users. When a user log in, the group policy is applied successfully.

I have the Computer Policy GPO linked to the Mentor Computers OU that's composed of the domain computers. However, the GPO is not applying.

When I run gpresult on the client machine when a user is logged in, it says "N/A" under Group Policy Applied Objects.

On the Computers GPO, I have the user settings disabled; on the Users GPO, I have the computer settings disabled.

I've even tried linking both GPOs to the top level of the domain; the same thing happens: the user GPO is applied, but the computer GPO is not.

I've also done a variety of gpupdate with /force and /sync to no avail.

Can anyone help me with why the computer GPO is not applying to the domain computers?

Thanks!

Re: Computer Group Policy Not Applying

what kind of policy are you trying to apply?
    Anything in the Event Viewer application log?
    Make sure that the policy you are trying to use is not blocked.
    You can try enabling "loopback" and see if that helps... see below:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=231287
    Regards,
    John

Comment

Originally posted by John777 View Post
      what kind of policy are you trying to apply?
      Anything in the Event Viewer application log?
      Make sure that the policy you are trying to use is not blocked.
      You can try enabling "loopback" and see if that helps... see below:
      http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=231287
      When you say "what kind of policy," what do you mean? I've created a GPO with Computer Configuration settings, and I've linked it to an OU filled with Computers. When I log in as a user and run a gpresult, it shows "N/A" under the Computer objects that it's applied.

Where should I go to see the Event Viewer application log?

Where should I look to see if the policy is blocked?

From what I've read, the "loopback" business is under the Computer Configuration settings ... so enabling that wouldn't do any good, since the computer isn't applying the Computer GPO in the first place.

Comment

sorry that I wasn't clear...
        what kind of computer settings did you configure and apply to that GPO? What are you trying to achieve with it?
        Are you using GMPC ? if yes - click on the GPO that you have created and click on the Setitngs Tab do you see those settings showing there?
        Check application log on your DC in Event Viewer
        Regards,
        John

Comment

I'm configuring all sorts of things with the computer policy ... it's not just one or two settings, it's quite a few things.

Yes, using GPMC. The Settings tab shows me the settings I've configured.

I'm looking at the application event viewer but don't know what I should be looking for. There's a bunch of stuff from Norton Antivirus but that's irrelevant ... those errors are just telling me that Norton couldn't scan a particular file during it's virus scan.

There are a few other errors here and there, but I don't know if I should be looking for anything specific.

What's troubling me is that I believe that I have everything configured correctly in GPMC: an OU with all the computers inside of it, and a GPO linked to that OU. The GPO has user settings disabled.

A completely different GPO with user settings is linked to a different OU of users.

The GPO on the users OU applies correctly. The GPO on the computer OU doesn't get applied. In fact, gpresult says "N/A" under the computer policies that were applied. It doesn't even show that the computer GPO was filtered out ... it's not there at all.

Is there some other more rudimentary server setup / setting that I'm screwing up?

Comment

just filter that log for any errors and see if there are any with the source "Userenv" as they pertain to Group Policy events.
            If I were you I would just create a test OU, put one of the test machines in there, create a new test GPO, link to that OU and only configure one setting for it - let's say to "Turn off System Restore" setting.
            And I am sure you are restarting your computer right? as not all policies get applied during bakground refresh, or even when you use gpupdate
            Regards,
            John

Comment

Well, through a weird series of events, the problem appears to be solved.

What I was doing:
              • Created OU
              • Dragged machines from Computers to OU
              • Linked GPO to OU

What I did to get it work:

The list above, plus:
              • Within the OU, created a Computers group
              • Added all machines to the Computers group
              • In Security Filtering in the GPO, added the Computers Group

That appears to have solved the problem. I noticed that when I was running gpresult that the computer was showing as a member of itself (duh), so I went to Security Filtering and added the specific computer in the scope, and it suddenly applied. So, in the end, having all the computers in an OU linked to a GPO was not enough. I had to add the computers to a group within that OU, and then specify that group in the Security Filtering section.

Weird stuff ... but it's working now, and that's what I needed.

Thanks for your help! Got me going on the right track.

Comment

I think that by default GPO affects all computers contained in that OU, and then if you need you can use Security Filtering to apply only to specific group. It should have had Authenticated Users group in there.
                Anyways...glad that you have figured it out...
                Regards,
                John

Comment

Working...
                X