Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server won't accept incoming connections.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server won't accept incoming connections.

Hi,

I'm having a very weird issue with 2 servers. First, i would like to mention that both server have totally different hardwares. One is running Windows 2003 STD and the other one is running Windows SBS 2003 STD.

For some reason, the server stops responding to incoming connections. Ping, TS, anything, it just looks like the server is down. Though, when physically on the server everything seems fine. Outgoing connections are fine, it's possible to browse on the Internet, access others PC etc. Rebooting the server usually fix the problem, however we have to reboot it twice sometimes.

I first tought of an hardware problem, but since the problem occured on 2 completly different server (they aren't even of the same manufacturer, one has an Asus motherboard and the other one is an HP server), i disregarded this. I've been browsing through the event log to find out what's going on and there's absolutly nothing related to what could be the cause of the problem.

Anyone ever experienced this kind of problems ?

Best regards,

trep

Re: Server won't accept incoming connections.

I would start looking at network problems, more than on the servers... Especially after you said it happens to two (very) different servers and from the console you do have network connection.
    When you tried ping and RDC to the servers, did you use IP addresses, or host names? Maybe you have a name-resolving problem. Or a routing problem.
    Have you did a P2V process with those two servers and somehow the virtual machines have remained active? This can get you in trouble with duplicate IP and/or duplicate MAC addresses (although I think in this case you would have network problems even from the console ... - just thinking aloud ).

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

you also made no mention on whether windows wirewall was disabled.
      Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

Definately check if you have any firewalls configured (software or hardware) and check those configurations. Especially the windows firewall, which will block incoming connections and allow outbound by default.

Also, are the 2 servers on the same switch? I have seen very similar things happen on some switches that were going bad.

Comment

I tried with the IP address. The 2 servers aren't on the same networks. One is behind an HP switch and the other one is behind a Cisco. Both have their firewalls disabled and no others firewall have been installed. No virtual machines configured. Thanks for the ideas though !

trep

Comment

When you loose connection, use tracert command to see where are your packets going...
            Hard to believe is the internal firewall: either is on the local machine, either it comes from a GPO. In both cases, it is up and running from the beginning, even before a user logged in.
            Good luck. Keep us posted.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Have you any IPSec policies been configured on these servers?

Comment

Just wanted to do a quick follow up of the problem.

It happened again and since i wasn't on-site, someone else made some test. It was impossible to do outgoing connections from the server. Networks cards weren't disabled, and all card ahd IP addresses. The tests kind of stopped there, but someone else told me that it could be a good idea to force the NCI speed. Since the server is plugged into an unmanageble switch, i only forced the NIC of the server to a 100Mbps full duplex mode. We'll see how it goes in the next days/weeks hehe

regards,

trep

Comment

So you had it on Auto/Auto ?
                  I have had soooo many problems with that ... FYI.

Comment

Working...
                  X