No announcement yet.

Download Security Problems server 2003 win xp pro

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download Security Problems server 2003 win xp pro

Ok ill try and expalin this as best i can

i have a 2003 DC with windows xp pro sp2 clients, within my setup all users should be able to download but installing is restricted to domain admins only.

All users can currently download apart from the MD's and they are starting to get a little annoyed with it lol (lucky for me my MD's are long standing friends).

the error msg they get is "your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded" however there is nothing i can find or have set that should be causing this error.

if i login to there machines with my user account (full admin rights) i can download in the same respect if i login with one of our standard user accounts (no admin rights) they can also download.

ive checked my GPO's and cant find anything in there would cause it (and if it was set via GPO im sure it would effect everyone rather than just the MD's) and im resonably sure its nothing to do with the local machines as i can download on them from other accounts + my MD's are part of the domain admins group so theres not much they shouldnt be able to do.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Download Security Problems server 2003 win xp pro

That are IE's security settings which are preventing them from downloading the files.

Make your to permit it, if you are using GPO to manage security settings.

Else change the setiings on local machine.

Kapil Sharma
    Life is too short, Enjoy It.

That was one of the first things i checked mate

all of the internet security settings are set via GPO's and would effect everyone in the office not just the MD's

thanks for trying though.

ok heres a working solution.

Start - log off - switch user
        Log on to a user profile with working settings (a user that can download) I used another user account on the same pc, but it also works with a user account from another PC, with the same windows version. (ive tested both ways)

Start regedit, browse to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\Zones"
        Click "file" - "export", choose e filename e.g. "Working Internet Settings.reg", and save it.
        Switch back to your user, with the bad security settings, and open regedit.
        Browse to the same key: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\Zones", and rename (or delete) zones, to sometheng else. (Exporting the bad zones folder to a "bad security settings.reg" may be a good thing to do, in case of errors during this operation.)
        Then import the "working security settings.reg" file you just exported from the working user profile. Just by doubleclicking on it.
        It shoud be working now. (I didn't need a restart for it to work)

Feel free to contact me should you not have a user that the settings work ok with and ill try and supply you with my working Reg file.

Good luck!

Well you can set IE Zone settings from a GPO as well by importing the current Zone settings on your GPMC machine.