Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best antivirus for Microsoft server2003 and XP environment?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best antivirus for Microsoft server2003 and XP environment?

hi fri

i have 2 domain controller servers which are Window 2003 R2 and more than 50 client which are window XP SP2. I want to setup the security suite (example, antivirus, antiispyware). I also want to control the all client by the server only. which is the best security suite for my system?

thanks

Re: what is the best antivirus for Microsoft server2003 and XP environment?

There isn't really the best virusscanner.
    I like Mcafee combined with there ePO software, others like Trend, and some others like symantec (can't imagine but ok)
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

personally i use one called sophos and ive had no problems with it.

Comment

Hi,

I prefer Mcafee + EPO & Symantec for small & large enviroment.

its easy to manage antivirus client machine and servers....

Regards
        Muneer

Comment

This will depend on your business' requirements. Nobody can say which is the best because there is no one "best" which works for everyone. The best thing you can do is look at reviews, test evaluation versions of each product in a secure test environment, and talk to the vendors about what their flagship features are. Just like any other corporate software purchase, really...

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Trend micro for all the antivirus needs. ClamAV+SpamAssassin+Tarpit+Honeypot for spam
            ________
            Montana medical marijuana
            Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:33.
            Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Well, I was a McAfee ePO Server Administrator for about 16 Months.
              If you are in a Domain Environment or in a Workgroup Environment, McAfee beats all other products hands down.

Also you can also try Kaspersky Antivirus Suite for the corporate environment.
              MCSE : Windows Server 2003

Comment

AV can be personal taste as well. We used McAfee however Groupshield 7 doesn't appear to be that great yet on Ex07. Trend seems to get good reviews from most people I ask. Kaspersky too. I'm not a fan of Symantec or Sophos though.
                It is good to mix scanners too. Maybe have a different file level scanner to mail scanner for example
                cheers
                Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Trend does a pretty good job with email viruses, but it's a louse spamfilter.
                  my policy always was not to let spam or viruses even get through to the exchange server. thus the regex scanners and the tarpit system on the frontend
                  ________
                  Vapir Air One
                  Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:33.

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
                    Trend does a pretty good job with email viruses, but it's a louse spamfilter.
                    my policy always was not to let spam or viruses even get through to the exchange server. thus the regex scanners and the tarpit system on the frontend
                    Spam filtering is best kept as a completely separate function - Use an AV product for virus insulation and a spam filtering product against SPAM. In our organisation we use a pair of IronPort appliances for SPAM filtering and Trend AV for Virus filtering. Ironport can also detect certain vira as well so it's a good partnership.

HOWEVER

As I said before - NOONE can say that one product is better than another for YOUR business - unless they are the consultant you have hired to investigate the matter for you.

Tom
                    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

no argument there. you have actually strengthened my point - spam solution is separated from the exchange server and from the AV server.
                      exchange is generally not flexible enough to be able to normally handle antispam on the same machine.

for an SBS-like (and much more really) MTA/LDAP/AV/AntiSpam solution I'd recommend Zimbra
                      ________
                      Herb scales
                      Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Purps View Post
                        personally i use one called sophos and ive had no problems with it.
                        I second a vote for Sophos here. I deployed it in a fairly large (2000+ workstations and 200+ servers) AD environment, displacing Symantec as I went and it was smooth as butter. Small memory footprint on the clients, easy management from the server, couldn't ask for better support.

Comment

ESET NOD32 here, personally I will never touch anything by the "big boys" that is Symantec and McAfee. They're more into marketing crap then creating good products.

Comment

Well and I disagree with you Meekrobe.
                            The products from Mcafee are very well.

So as everyone can see there quite a lot of flavors and everybody loves his own.
                            There is no such thing as the best.
                            I found that Trend is rather late with his updates and Symantec was for me a pain in the ass.
                            However others loves those products and that there choice.

I would say, test the most of them, contact a few consultants and map you're network to see which fits best.
                            Last edited by Dumber; 19th April 2008, 14:25.
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands
                            http://www.phetios.com
                            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Personally I think the best anti virus protection is offered by GFI, well a GFI product to be precise. GFI MailSecurity is one of the best products out there.

Why? Because it allows you to use up to 4 different A/V products to protect yourself. What one misses the other ones should hopefully pick up. Yes it is Exchange email orientated but that is how the virus enemies come into your network.

As for which product is best, use this sites search engine because this has been thrashed to death several times. The best individual product is going to depend on 2 things, affordability and personal preference.

For full protection, look at the GFI options.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X