Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't manage a comp in my network with AD

Hello,

I am having a problem with a computer on my network. My problem is that the computer will not allow me to manage it through active directory. I have reset the account and released it from the domain and rejoined. I have allowed all of the admin shares on the computer and still cannot connect to it. Has anyone got an idea of what could be going on here.

Below is the error message I receive.

---------------------------
    Computer Management
    Computer \\COMP16.myofficenetwork.local cannot be managed. Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is correct and the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows still cannot find the network path, contact your network administrator.

Choose 'Connect to another computer' from the Action menu to manage a different computer.
    OK

Yes the computer is on and i can explore it on the network through the admin drive share.

Thanks for any help,

Billy

Re: Can't manage a comp in my network with AD

You could try disableing the Windows Firewall.

Can you manage other computers on your network?
    Are there any error messages in the event log on the workstation?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes; I can manage all but one other computer on the network. I have tried to disable the firewall but it will not let me because of a group policy which I am not sure how to change.

Billy

Comment

Ok... I disabled the firewall through the GPO (thanks google for that one). Still nothing, I get the same error message.

Comment

Any error messages in the event log?

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Oh boy... now I have done it. I had changed the GPO for the firewall and now some computers firewalls are disabled and cannot be enabled. Is there a way to undo the policy that I wrote yesterday.

I will look at the log later today and see if there is anything that I can post that might help in solving this problem.

Billy

Comment

yeah just open the policy you created yesterday and change the setting back to not configured and that should solve it.

or of course you can just remove the whole policy providing you created an individual policy for the firewall settings rather than adding it to your default domain policy.

you could also set the policy so instead of turing all of your firewalls off it turns them back on.

or last but not least you could just unlink the policy from the OU you linked it to and that way you still have the policy there but without it having any effect in case you decide you want / need it back later on down the line.

hope that helps a little bit

Comment

Originally posted by Billy21 View Post
                Yes; I can manage all but one other computer on the network.
                Billy
                just wondering but does this other computer give the same error ?

Comment

Anyone know how to restart the GPO?... I have unlinked the "rule" that i made yesterday and would like to restart the GPO and push it out to workstations.

Comment

If you just unlinked it then choose add then select it.
                    cheers
                    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

by now it will of auto updated the gpo's on all your machines.

but if you want to do it manually you can always go start run then cmd, then use gpupdate to force a client to update its gpo settings.

i hope thats what you ment by pushing it out to the workstations ?

Comment

start ...run ...: gpupdate /force
                        It should work.

Cheers
                        GeekSquad

Comment

Working...
                        X