Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't edit anything other than Default Domian Policy.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't edit anything other than Default Domian Policy.

Hi,

Sorry if I'm being dumb, but I have Server 2003 R2, in which I've set up a few OUs. I've created GPOs for these but when I go to edit the Policies I always get the Default Domian Policy in the GP editor no matter what I try and edit.

I just can't seem to edit anything other that the Default Domain Policy!!!

What am I doing wrong?

Regards

Alex

Re: Can't edit anything other than Default Domian Policy.

Sorry to ask but have you actually created new ones or have you just linked the default domain policy to these OUs instead?

Also, when you say default domain policy, hwo do you know? What does it show?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I've created new ones..

In Group Policy Managment, under 'Group Policy Objects' they appear, but if I right click and select Edit, the Group Policy Editor window ALWAYS has 'Default Domain Policy' at the top of the left pane and it's associated Computer and User Configuration sections. This happens regardless of which one I choose (including Default Domain Controllers Policy).

To test the problem I've made some changes to the policy shown and it affects the whole domain not just the intended OU.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Alex

Comment

Fair enough - it was a possible scenario.

Is there only 1 DC or does this happen on more than one server? Can you replicate on a workstation with the admin tools (before and after GPMC is installed)?
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

There's only one server in the Domain at the moment..

I haven't tried it on a workstation. It's a good point though, I'll try it as soon as I get back into work tomorrow.

Alex

Comment

Tried it on a workstation with Admin Tools and everything works as it should both before and after GPMC is installed.

Alex

Comment

Not sure what the GPMC uses (.NET 1.1 I think) but maybe try the usual re-install / windows update etc? At least you can do something using the workstation in the mean time.
              cheers
              Andy

Comment

The Default Domain Policy might be enforced. Right click on the Group Policy you have created and click Block Inheritance. Also disable the Policy is enforced rule from the default Domain Policy by right clicking on it.
                MCSE : Windows Server 2003

Comment

Unfortunately neither of those suggestions make any difference! It's odd that it works fine on a workstation using Admin Tools but not on the server. I've tried unistalling GPMC from the server, but it still had the same problem. Reinstalling GPMC didn't help..

I'm a bit perplexed to say the least. I'll just have to carry on using a workstation until I can get it sorted.

I've searched on Google etc for anyone else that has this problem but I can't fand anything like it!

Alex

Comment

From your post it sounds like you only have one domain controller, is that right?

Out of curiosity, are you using different accounts on the server/workstation? Perhaps...the NTFS permissions on the SYSVOL share need to be checked if you're using a different account. This is where the policy information is stored. Although that doesn't explain why you're not just getting an "access denied" error instead of it defaulting to the Default Domain Policy.

~Kara
                    ~Kara
                    'What we do not make conscious emerges later as fate.' Carl Jung

Comment

On your server, right-click the OU you want to edit the GPO on. Under the Group Policy tab, highlight the policy and click "Properties". Write down the "Unique name". Now open \\<server>\SYSVOL\<DOMAIN.COM>\Policies and verify that their is a folder with the "Unique" name. You should have 1 folder for each policy. Make sure each OU does correctly have it's own unique GPO listed, and not the unique name of the Domain policy.

Also, check to make sure you have the proper permissions to edit your GPO's, (do the same as above but click the Security Tab).

Also, what account are you doing this under? Login as a Domain admin and see if you can edit them. Perhaps try another Domain Admin account, or create it. It might be a problem with that user account or profile.

Check and ensure you have appropriate permissions under the \\<SERVER>\SYSVOL\<DOMAIN.COM>\Policies folders.

Comment

Working...
                      X