No announcement yet.

Slow Network Logon, network drives do not map,Network applications do not work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Network Logon, network drives do not map,Network applications do not work

Hi guys..

Last friday I made a post about a network problem I had,which was about a slow network logon,and network drives that did not map.A prominent poster helped me,we found out that it was a DNS problem.The DNS server somehow got disjoined from the domain,so I joined it back,tested with one client machine,all was well and I went home.

Today I came work and found out that the problem had begun again.Network logon is incredibly slow,and my network drives do not map(I use logon scripts).When try to open computer objects in My Network Places,an error message says "Network path was not found."I disjoined the DNS server from the domain and then tried to join it back,but couldn't.An error message appeared,about.." The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ATTC.."ATTC is my domain name.And the message continued and gave me two DCs,DC1 and DC2,saying it could not locate Host (A) records for them.Here's the kicker; DC1 is a DC,just fine,but DC2 in not a DC.It' s just an ordinary XP client PC!!

I checked my DNS records and found an ldap record that shouldn't be there.It was DC2.domainname.Since DC2 is not a DC, it's just a client PC.I deleted the record in about five places,under Forward and Reverse lookup snapins. Nothing worked.I also disabled the computer account for the client PC that listed as a DC2 in the error,and later disbaled it.Then the DNS server got joined to the domain,but still the network is ill.

Help!!

I can manually map to my network drives,but they do not reconnect at logon.My AutoCAD application in client cannot locate their Lincense Server,so they can't run.My DNS server seems to be just fine,I can query it from every client PC using NSLOOKUP command.

My network has a Win2000 server DC,the only DC,a Win2000 DHCP server,which is functioning fine,and a Win2003 Enterprise DNS server.Everything was well last week,I don't know what changed.

Any help will appreciated!!

Re: Slow Network Logon, network drives do not map,Network applications do not work

I might add that my DNS and DHCP server can automatically map my network drives just fine.Only client machines seem to be having problems.
    Last edited by Giodino; 14th April 2008, 16:32.

Comment

Re: Slow Network Logon, network drives do not map,Network applications do not work

hi

didnt read all your message
      it seems that u have a dns issue

i think it will be best
      to delete the domain in the dns server
      and then created it again

then run - netdiag /fix

it then be best to restart all the servers
      espaciay the dc.

check also before that the dns server is pointing to itself
      and also that all members are pointing to him as a resolver

Comment

Thanks for the reply,buddy.

I'll come back to you,let me try that.

Comment

make sure all your FMSO/schema roles are in place as well and functioning.
          What do I know, I am only 26.

Comment

I reconfigured my DNS server.I deleted the Foward and Reverse lookup zones then readded them.They are functioning properly now,and records are being added,but still,nothing has changed.

I restarted all my servers at least 4 times.

The netdiag /fix command won't run,it's not recognized.

Slow network logon,network drives do not map,and AutoCAD won't load because the License server can't be reached.

Originally posted by GrantThomas View Post
            make sure all your FMSO/schema roles are in place as well and functioning.

Sorry.How do I make sure of that?
            Last edited by Giodino; 15th April 2008, 09:22.

Comment

Ok.I confirmed it.

My RID,PDC,Infrastructure and Domain Naming Master are my Domain Controller.
              Last edited by Giodino; 15th April 2008, 11:42.

Comment

hi

>The netdiag /fix command won't run,it's not recognized.

install the support tools
                its in the 2003 disk

Comment

Originally posted by dav9 View Post
                  hi

>The netdiag /fix command won't run,it's not recognized.

install the support tools
                  its in the 2003 disk
                  My Win2003 server is just a member server,not a DC.Should I just install the support tools on it,and run the command?Or should I do it on the DC?The DC is a Win2000 server,and I don't think I have the original setup disk for it.

Thanks.

Comment

hi

you need to run this netdiag /fix command on the dns server
                    so u should install the support tools on that dns server

Comment

hi again

u can also do netdiag /q
                      to query network dns for issues

Comment

I ran the netdiag /q and netdiag /fix commands from the DNS server, and here’s the part that might interest you guys.

DC List Test: Failed (Failed to enumerate DCs)

Kerberos Test: Failed (To ticket for DNS server)

Redir and Browser Test: Failed

So what, the DC controllers have problems? May be an AD issue?
                        Last edited by Giodino; 16th April 2008, 08:28.

Comment

OH MY GOODNESS!!

I can't believe this!!

Four wasted days on this thing?!

It's a good thing students have closed on this college and a lot of people are on leave,including the bosses,otherwise I would have lost my job!!

The junior technician!!She'll have to answer a few questuions today.Coz I'm sure as hell I never touched this one.

IPSec policy setting!!

She set the IPSec Require Security policy setting at the Default Domain Policy.Now clients could not communicate with the server,because IPSec is not enabled on them.IPSec Request Security would have done better.

She's on for an MCSE class everyday with me from now on.

Lesson learnt!!She stays away from the servers!!

Cheers guys!!

Comment

Working...
                          X