No announcement yet.

Upgrading 2 dcs, 1 file server,1 terminal server running win2k servers to 2k3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading 2 dcs, 1 file server,1 terminal server running win2k servers to 2k3

I have 2dcs,a file server and a terminal server running windows 2k server os and I need to upgrade them to 2k3 servers.
    1. Do I need to buy the 2003 small business version or the full standard edition ; by the way I am not running exchange on the network.
    2.One of the dc is almost 6 years so I plan to build a new server to replace the old one and install the 2k3 before I join it to the domain
    3. What is the best way to approach this problem .
    Last edited by amanua; 10th April 2008, 23:50. Reason: spelling of domain

Re: Upgrading 2 dcs, 1 file server,1 terminal server running win2k servers to 2k3

I count 4 servers. Your upgrading all servers from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003.
    Your planning to replace one of the DC's with new hardware.

Why bother upgrading the old DC if you plan to replace it? I would suggest buying your new server with Windows 2003 installed on that. If you want to use SBS you can only install it on one of the servers. One domain cannot contain two Windows 2003 SBS's. I know the price of SBS is tempting but I dislike the OS. I can see why it exists but I find it just hard work to work with.

What roles are the DC's doing other than being just domain controllers?
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Re: Upgrading 2 dcs, 1 file server,1 terminal server running win2k servers to 2k3

One of the dc holds all the 5 fsmo roles and the other which is old is just a backup and running ADP-a payroll application which the company have stopped using but once and while they use search for employee data.

Comment

Working...
      X