Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding about Upgrading 2k to 2k3

Hi All..

Hopefully this SUMMER, I will be planning to upgrade 2k to 2k3.. after like 2 years... NEED MORE EXPERIENCE

Now, the system we have now. Contains 2 Domain Controllers. one being master at everything.. (all the 5 roles) and the other, being a 'backup' DC, and only replicates the GC every hour or so... user profiles and printing are hosted on the master server too.

Have two brand new uptodate servers (2007...) I want to upgrade the old servers.. i.e get rid of them totally.. the old servers are running p3 1.1Ghz (how embarrassing :P) with only 512mb ram. (these are dell servers, had them for over 6 years and been running since) while the new dell servers are quad core 1.8 xeon, 4gb ram...

anyway.. I have read the sticky. about upgrading.. but..
    thats only talking about, one DC...

my original plan, was to demote the 'backup' DC, so I have only have one left.
    then join one new server, promote it make it master... then take out the old 'master'
    then promote the other new server...

but i dont really want the whole system to stop dead while i am doing this, so what can i do if i have both dc's...

can I just adprep the master and join the new server? or will I need to adprep both servers at the same time? etc etc

basically, how hard is it for having 2 DC's online at the same time, for getting new DC's online...

thanks, you could help me out... *smiles*
    but i still think its recommended to only have one DC in the domain...

Re: Regarding about Upgrading 2k to 2k3

Definitely not. If you demote the second one you lose all of your fault tolerence. I can't imagine you will find anywhere that recommends only 1 DC in a domain as it is against everything Microsoft recommends.

There is no problem with adding the two new servers to the existing two (we have 8 at this site). You can then let them sync and move the fsmo roles over. Change your clients to use them for DNS etc (and whatever else you want).
    I would recommend keeping the other two around as backups anyway.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Okay As I said, really need more experience :P but my site dont have any money for my training. im only a MCP for 2k3 at the moment...

So, If I want to add new servers to the existing domain, will I need to ADPrep both existing DC's? or just the master?

Comment

No probs. Just wanted to make sure you stopped
        MCP is a good start, at least it shows you are willing to learn.

Have a read of this:
        http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...ktows03-2.mspx
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

riight, thanks...

that helped
          *retypes plan*

when adprep the master schema, it will tell all the other dc's about adprep.. "hey you theres gonna be new dc's joining us soon, so be prepered"

anywho (i can be random most of the day everyday )

thanks

Comment

random can be good, apart from maybe upgrading from 2000 to 2003
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

Okay... (ish typing up a huge plan/procedure for upgrading servers)

Global Catalog... I can enable this on both new domains can't I?

Does the global catalog, contain all the GPOS and stuff as well?
              currently... with 2k servers... if the master is offline...

the other server is trying to read polices from the master domain... i ever woundered why it was doing that, since they both should act normal... when either is offline..

but i notice, global catalog is only enabled on the master... so if i enable global catalog on the other dc, should this solve the puzzle, and the other dc should continue normally WITH gpos enabled?

thanks *confuzed look*
              Last edited by plawlor; 14th April 2008, 15:10.

Comment

Working...
              X