X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schema Updates

Morning All,

Just a quick question...

I am aware that for an update to the Active Directory Schema to be made successfully, the Schema Master FSMO role must be up and running and available, and that the user account used to perform the operation must be a member of the Schema Admins group.

Now, what i am curious about is whether any Schema changes made need to be carried out whilst actually logged onto the Domain Controller that holds this role?

It has been a while since i have had to carry out any schema changes...

The change in question uses a .VBS script to call values from an LDIF file and will only run when the user is logged onto the Schema Master itself.

Is this normal behaviour and am i just going mad? The main reason for asking is because i am sure that you used to be able to run the Exchange Schema updates from the Exchange server itself rather than having to log onto the Schema MAster and do them...

Any info much appreciated

Jonboy
    MCSA/MCSE 2000
    MCSA/MCSE 2003
    CCNA

I love pies.

Re: Schema Updates

I think as long as the scheme master is up and running then you should be fine but I always make my schema updateds on the DC that holds the schema master role incase there are are connectivity issues during the update.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I agree. One good method is to unplug the schema master and run the updates then. This means, should there be problems, you can always just promote another DC to be schema master and wipe/reload the failed box.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks guys,

I am concerned that there may be something up with our Active Directory, as we can definately only change the schema on our Schema Master server...

thanks for the info
        MCSA/MCSE 2000
        MCSA/MCSE 2003
        CCNA

I love pies.

Comment

That is by design? I mean't unplug the schema master then apply the changes to it whilst unplugged. If it corrupts etc (very rare) then you can just seize the role on another server and get the original one wiped and running again.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
          X