Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple site query from a newbie!!

This is my first post!!

I've been looking after a friends SBS 2003 network for a while and all is ok. They have opened two other remote offices and i have added a 2003 Standard server in each. I have internet access using Vigor 2600 Routers at each site and i have created a VPN link from the remote sites to the main office. I have made both 2003 standard Servers Domain controllers and that all seems to work. I have added DNS onto the remote site server too. What my question is, is how do i know replication is working between the sites and what is the correct way of promoting a server into an existing SBS2003 domain?

When i added DNS i would have thought the DNS server would pick up the forward zones from the SBS 2003 server but it didn't. I had to create a secondary zone and pull it from the SBS 2003 server. I've never added another domain controller to a domain before so i'm not too sure what should be happening!

Any help and advise would be great!!

Thanks

Well as far as promoting the other servers into your SBS2003 domain I am pretty certain it isn't possible. Its one of the things that is restricted under SBS - thats one of the things they do to make it cheaper and to stop big businesses buying it instead of win2003 and exchange 2003 and isa 2003 and sql etc....
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

It is definatley possible to have more than one DC in SBS 2003 just not more than one Domain.

Comment

Oh thats right! You just cant have more than one SBS server in a domain. I knew i should have checked that! Silly me!
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

> What my question is, is how do i know replication is working between the site

It works if you see the accounts appearing in the new DC. That is the simplest way to see it.

> When i added DNS i would have thought the DNS server would pick up the forward zones from the SBS 2003

It should. It can take some hours at worst, but it should eventually pick the zones up. You might want to restart the DNS service for good measure.

> I had to create a secondary zone and pull it from the SBS 2003 server.

That is definitely not a good thing. This zone will conflict with the AD zone. If I were you I would try again to get the AD integrated zone to replicate. Forget about this secondary zone, it's only trouble.

> what is the correct way of promoting a server into an existing SBS2003 domain?

The usual procedure is to set the primary DNS (TCP/IP settings) of the new DC to the central DC, and then run DCPROMO. After stabilization (couple of hours), set the primary DNS to self.

Don't forget to define additional sites in AD, and be sure to assign the correct subnets to default-1st-site-name and the new sites. Move the DC's to their correct sites.

Comment

I've got three sites. I've got HQ, Remote 1 and Remote 2. HQ is a 2003 SBS server. Remote 1 and 2 are Server 2003 Standard, Global Catalog Domain controllers with DNS, Wins and DHCP. I've created a site for each Remote server, and i've created subnets. The remote 1 and 2 servers are in the correct sites and i have linked the subnets to the sites. My questions are. My HQ server only replicates to remote 1. Remote 1 replicates to HQ and Remote 2. Remote 2 only replicates with remote 1. I've got an event log (NTDS KCC, Event ID:1129) saying that the KCC has deleted replication between HQ and Remote 2. Is this ok and is it right? Also when i click on a subnet i get 0 objects. What should i be seeing?!

Its the first time that i've done this and i'm a little unsure what i should get!

Thanks in advance!

Comment

> My HQ server only replicates to remote 1

Your info suggests that you have not yet created explicit sitelinks. I bet all three sites are in default-1st-site-link.

You probably want to have HQ as the central site, and have R1 and R2 replicate to HQ. So, set up two IP sitelinks (HQ-R1 and HQ-R2), and assign appropriate sites. After some time the topology should correct itself. Resist the temptation to create manual connection objects...

> Also when i click on a subnet i get 0 objects. What should i be seeing

0 objects Seriously, its properties shows the site it is connected to. That's about it. Doubleclick does nothing.

Comment

Working...
              X