My first Web site hosting project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Web site hosting project

I was scanning over the boards and decided there are quite a few more intellegent people here than I so here is my problem: I have server 2003 standard as a stand alone file server and I'm running ServU as a FTP server. Now I would like to host my own web site with an existing name purchased through the Internic. I've already been through the setting up of IIS, created a sample web site so that's cool but now I need to go live with my already developed web site previously hosted by someone else, so I assume I need to do a transfer? How do I go about doing that? And how do I configure my own server? The article has got be "how to transfer an existing site and how to set up 2003 server to host the new site - for a dummy"! Thanks in advance for your attention and assistance.

On the subject of transfering your domain you need to speak to your current hosts about that. It may cost you a small admin fee. Hosting your own site:

Well off the top of my head you will need:

- IIS installed
    - A public ip address - could be quite expensive
    - Someone to host your dns saying that www.yourdomain.com goes to your public ip address
    - A firewall (I wouldn't use the built in one) ISA at least but preferably a Cisco PIX
    - Errrmmm anything else i've forgotten guys.... lol!
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for replying to my post, here's what I've accomplished thanks to you:

-I believe I have set IIS on my Win2003 box correctly
      -I have signed up with a free DNS hosting site and have associated my domain name with my IP address. Although it's supposed to dynamic, it hasn't changed in 6 months so I'm considering it static for now.
      - Installed a firewall on my sever - Zone Alarm Pro - still configuring it.

Now I'm faced with getting my domain transfered, how would you recommend I do that? And do I point it to the hosting DNS site that I just signed up with?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Blakenstien
        Thanks for replying to my post, here's what I've accomplished thanks to you:

-I believe I have set IIS on my Win2003 box correctly
        -I have signed up with a free DNS hosting site and have associated my domain name with my IP address. Although it's supposed to dynamic, it hasn't changed in 6 months so I'm considering it static for now.
        - Installed a firewall on my sever - Zone Alarm Pro - still configuring it.

Now I'm faced with getting my domain transfered, how would you recommend I do that? And do I point it to the hosting DNS site that I just signed up with?

Thanks again.
        Firstly that point about your IP address - Not a great idea if you are hosting a website that needs 99% uptime. Your IP will change at some point. Ive heard people with the same thing but eventually they all end up with different ones.

For your domain to be transfered you need to speak to your current hosting company. Then you new hosting company (or free dns bods) will need to send you a form to fill out which then gets sent to your old company, who will then transfer it accross..... few!

Hope this helps
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X