DNS issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS issues

So let me give you a brief layout of things before I proceed with my question

I have 1 Windows 2K3 Server machine that is running 8 VM's (for studying) It has 2 NIC's, 1 I have labeled as Outside (192.168.1.9), the other is labeled Inside (192.168.1.8 ) Windows firewall is set for the outside NIC, but completely disabled for the Inside NIC.

I have a desktop machine set with a static IP (192.168.1.3) and it is set to a static DNS of 192.168.1.8 (only IP set to serve DNS requests) FYI this machine is not on the domain

I was having trouble mapping drives to my server via hostname. When I try to ping my hostname of my server hostname it resolves back with the .9 address. In DNS I have A record set for my hostname pointing to .8 When I ping hostname.domain.com it resolves to .8

Any ideas? Hope I was clear enough in my description
    Last edited by biggles77; 2nd April 2008, 10:48. Reason: Fixed IP with bracket 8) to 8 )
    Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Re: DNS issues

Do not register the nic with the .9 address into DNS.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
      Do not register the nic with the .9 address into DNS.

You mean to serve DNS requests?? Or?? Cause I only have .8 serving DNS requests

Comment

On the DNS tab of the advanced TCP/IP properties of the .9 card uncheck the "register this connection's addresses in DNS" setting.

Comment

That's indeed what i ment Joe.
          And as an addition, remove in DNS on the interface tab the .9 address.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

TY Dumber. I knew what you meant but thought I would expound on it a little for clarification.

Comment

Thnx Joe
              Currently I'm working on a MAC so I wasn't sure where to find it.
              I usually click almost blind to it It's quite a common mistake.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                That's indeed what i ment Joe.
                And as an addition, remove in DNS on the interface tab the .9 address.

Can you clarify please? This is weird at times it will ping the correct address .8 and at other times it will ping .9

Comment

1. In the properties of the .9 network adapter make sure it is not configured to register in DNS.

2. In the properties of the DNS server make sure it is not set to listen on the .9 address.

3. In DNS make sure no forward or reverse records exist for the .9 address.

4. If you use DHCP make sure none of your scope or server options point to the .9 address.

5. If you use WINS make sure there are no WINS records for the .9 address.

6. If you use hosts or lmhosts files make sure none of them have an entry for the .9 address.

7. Flush the DNS cache on all servers and clients.

That's all I can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                    1. In the properties of the .9 network adapter make sure it is not configured to register in DNS.

2. In the properties of the DNS server make sure it is not set to listen on the .9 address.

3. In DNS make sure no forward or reverse records exist for the .9 address.

4. If you use DHCP make sure none of your scope or server options point to the .9 address.

5. If you use WINS make sure there are no WINS records for the .9 address.

6. If you use hosts or lmhosts files make sure none of them have an entry for the .9 address.

7. Flush the DNS cache on all servers and clients.

That's all I can think of.
                    Well I had already done 1,2,4,7 (I dont use WINS 5, or Host files 6) For 3 I had a entry in the DNS server labeled (same as parent folder) for .9 ( I now removed) what is "(same as parent folder)" I assume it means the same as domain.com

Comment

Oh en don't forget to remove the A record with the .9 addres
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands

Comment

Originally posted by brcmadmin View Post
                        So let me give you a brief layout of things before I proceed with my question

I have 1 Windows 2K3 Server machine that is running 8 VM's (for studying) It has 2 NIC's, 1 I have labeled as Outside (192.168.1.9), the other is labeled Inside (192.168.1.8 ) Windows firewall is set for the outside NIC, but completely disabled for the Inside NIC.

I have a desktop machine set with a static IP (192.168.1.3) and it is set to a static DNS of 192.168.1.8 (only IP set to serve DNS requests) FYI this machine is not on the domain

I was having trouble mapping drives to my server via hostname. When I try to ping my hostname of my server hostname it resolves back with the .9 address. In DNS I have A record set for my hostname pointing to .8 When I ping hostname.domain.com it resolves to .8

Any ideas? Hope I was clear enough in my description
                        The key problem here is that you have two NICs that it seems you are trying to use at any given time. Microsoft's position on a dual NIC system is quite simple, Not Recommend!

If you have SBS or you are using another application like ISA server that requires dual NIC operation and configures Windows 2003 Server to behave accordingly it will work however doing some manual hack job won't work and you will end up doing more harm than than good to the operating system.

Part of the issue doing it lies with the fact you must always have only one gateway, and as soon as you give two network adatpers a gateway not matter if they are both the same gateway it causes problems, another issue the networking properties vs the registry. Windows registry has priority over the networking properties you setup, it even remember previous IPs, Gateways, etc which thrown in the mix.

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by SmoothRunnings View Post
                          The key problem here is that you have two NICs that it seems you are trying to use at any given time. Microsoft's position on a dual NIC system is quite simple, Not Recommend!
                          I fully agree however it is possible to do.
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                          X