SSSSLLLLLOOOOWWW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSSSLLLLLOOOOWWW

I have a Windows 2003 Server that is taking forever to logon to - sits at "Applying your personal settings" for upwards of 10 minutes before the desktop comes up. We are also having intermittent slow downs when trying to access shares on the server - for example saving a word document.

If I manage to access the console during these pauses CPU utilisation is 100% but by the time I get to the processes page all it shows is the System Idle process taking up cpu time.

Where do I start?

For completeness sake: this (member?) server should have a pointer to a properly working AD DNS. The server should be able to locate a working DC and GC.

If this is fine, my next suspect would be antivirus. You might want to turn of on-access scanning for a while to see if that improves things.

Did you check the eventlog for relevant errors?

Also possible are disk/memory problems. If memory is really low you will have excessive swapping, leading to bad performance. Really bad performance is also possible when the disk subsystem starts to develop bad sectors. Unlikely perhaps, but worth checking.

Lastly, start a perfmon log to monitor the server's vitals: CPU, memory, swap activity and the like.

I hope this gets you started...

Comment

bet it's DNS

usually the case of a misplaced dns entry

Comment

Sounds like a DNS or GC problem to me.
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks all - as usual this will probably turn out to be multiple problems
          My predecessor was redirecting My Documents to a network share but failed to setup one for the administrator account - hence the timeout. Interesting idea on the anti-virus scanning - might test that out. All the WS have AV software on them - why scan twice?

I think I have resolved the DNS issue (missing A record) for a DC and hence no replication of AD. I am still getting an FRS error though - might watch that for a day or so.

thanks again

Davej

Comment

> I think I have resolved the DNS issue (missing A record

So it's a DC we're talking about. Well, this is worth looking into. A records don't dissapear by themselves. This can happen if you have a single-label domain, like "company." instead of "company.com." It may be fixed using a registry hack.

Otherwise, you might want to run DCDIAG and NETDIAG (support tools) on that DC to see what else comes up.

Comment

Sorry about the lack of info - getting it from the brain to the keyboard can be a problem sometimes

dcdiag and netdiag both come up clean. Replication is working and all seems well except for accessing office documents on the dc - seems to be very slow.

Comment

There are some know issues in this area.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839231

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822219

None of these explain the symptoms of slow logon. So, what about the eventlog on the server. Everything clean?

Comment

thanks, I'll check those douments out. The event logs are clean, that's what is so frustrating about this. If I had an error I'd know where to start. What parameters should I setup in a perfmon log?

Comment

Originally posted by Davej
                    thanks, I'll check those douments out. The event logs are clean, that's what is so frustrating about this. If I had an error I'd know where to start. What parameters should I setup in a perfmon log?
                    CPU, memory, disk I/O, swap activity and the like. Set it up to log frequently, like every 15 seconds, and write it to a CSV for easy analysis.

Oh yes, one other thing... did you set the link speed to fixed to 100Mb/FD (or whatever you need), both on the switch and NIC? If not, you might want to try that.

Comment

thanks wkasdo

Comment

Working...
                      X