setting up a new Win2k3 DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting up a new Win2k3 DC

the new job I'm at currenty have thier DNS and DHCP servers running on seperate servers from the current Win2k DC. I'm installing a new Windows 2003 DC and have two questions.

1 - I've been reading up on how to install a Windows 2k3 DC into a Windows 2000 network and was wondering if there are any extra steps I need to know for the setup I have.

2- should I leave the current setup with the DNS/DHCP servers or should I incorporate DNS/DHCP into the new Win2k3 server?

thanks
    knowledge is power

Re: setting up a new Win2k3 DC
    1. I guess that depends on what you have read. You would normally need to do a domainprep and forestprep before the existing domain will let you add a new Windows 2003 DC to the network. Other than that it's pretty straight forward.

2. I personally recommend sticking the DNS on the DC as without each other your network will run into problems. Doing it this way also allows you to integrate your DNS records into Active Directory therefore replicating DNS records to any other AD integrated DNS servers you have.
      I then recommend telling all your PC's to use the DNS on the new server. Once this has done if your leaving the Windows 2000 on the network look at setting this to also be an AD DNS server. Then adding that as a secondary DNS entry to all PC's for added fail over should your Windows 2003 box go down etc.
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Re: setting up a new Win2k3 DC

Originally posted by techie211 View Post
      1 - I've been reading up on how to install a Windows 2k3 DC into a Windows 2000 network and was wondering if there are any extra steps I need to know for the setup I have.
      Check out the following post:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=15739

Originally posted by techie211 View Post
      2- should I leave the current setup with the DNS/DHCP servers or should I incorporate DNS/DHCP into the new Win2k3 server?
      Depends on your environment. At my old company I had DNS and DHCP running on two AD servers (80 / 20 rule for DHCP) but where I am now we run DHCP on a pair linux hosts for instant failover.

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
      X