Can't execute file on remote servers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't execute file on remote servers.

I have two servers, CLA-SRV & TEN-SRVLN. CLA-SRV has a file on it, I:\Test.exe which I want to run from TEN-SRVLN.

I logon to TEN-SRVLN as a domain admin, create a UNC path to \\CLA-SRV\i$\ and double-click the file Test.exe. I get the error:

Windows can not access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

This happens with all files on CLA-SRV. In fact no matter on which server any file is located on, I can't run it. I can, however, run the files from the domain workstations.

Looking at the executable files on the servers, there doesn't seem to be any special settings on any of the files. When I view an EXE from another server, the EXE's icon is the white folder with the blue border not the embedded icon which is viewable when looking at it from a workstation.

On some EXEs I've noticed a new button labelled "Unblock" in the General tab of the file's properties. Even after pressing this button I still can not run the EXE.

If I however copy the EXE to a local drive on the TEN-SRVLN server, I can run it OK. What could be the problem here?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Can't execute file on remote servers.

What are the permissions on the server??

Are both servers in the same domain??

Does the server in question have the Internet Explorer Enhanced Secucrity installed??

What OS are the servers??

Are the servers on the same site??
    Last edited by wullieb1; 27th March 2008, 04:43.

Comment

Being a domain admin, I pretty much have all admin rights over all servers and files. Like I said, it works from a workstation even using my domain user account.

All workstations and servers are in the SCL domain. Thanks.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

Being a domain admin doesn't always means you're local admin, but that's a bit OT.

I'd look around enhanced security option and ie security zones. Try to add CLA-SRV t otrusted sites, maybe this will help?

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
          Being a domain admin, I pretty much have all admin rights over all servers and files. Like I said, it works from a workstation even using my domain user account.

All workstations and servers are in the SCL domain. Thanks.
          Domain Admin can still be denied access to files.

Please answer all the questions i asked.

Comment

Sorry about not getting back to you. The problem seems to be machine-specific. I have one file in particular which I can run from a newly created server but not from an existing, older server (one which has been in the company for years). Both are Win2K3 SP1. I'm logged in to both with the same AD admin account.

BAU-SRVLN is an older server. I try to run a file on \\CLA-SRV\i$ from Windows Explorer but get the error "Windows cannot access the specified device....". The path is a UNC path. Note that the icon for the file I'm attempting to run is a white box with a blue border, similar to what Windows displays as the icon when there is none associated to a file. The server is in the OU \\scl\Domain Controllers\PXE DCs.

CLA-COMV is a newer server. I try to run a file on \\CLA-SRV\i$ from Windows Explorer and it runs OK. Icon is the standard InstallShield icon. The server is in the OU \\scl\SCL Servers.

CLA-SRV is in the OU \\scl\SCL Servers.

It seems it might be a GPO issue, but I can't figger out which line. Here are my GPOs.

GPO setup:

\\scl\Domain Controllers
            ..........Default Domain Controllers Policy
            \\scl\Domain Controllers\PXE DCs
            ....................Allowed to Use Remote Desktop to Connect to Site Servers (Machine)
            ....................Disable SMB on DCs for Altiris PXE Clients (Computer)

\\scl\SCL Servers
            ...........<No specifically defined GPOs for this OU>
            Attached Files
            |
            +-- JDMils
            |
            |

Comment

OK, looks like we have a solution. I've gone thru and enable one GPO at a time and found the offending GPO was "Disable SMB on DCs for Altiris PXE Clients (Computer)". I can now access remote files from my servers, yeah!
              |
              +-- JDMils
              |
              |

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
                OK, looks like we have a solution. I've gone thru and enable one GPO at a time and found the offending GPO was "Disable SMB on DCs for Altiris PXE Clients (Computer)". I can now access remote files from my servers, yeah!
                Nice one.

Well done and thanks for posting back with your answer.

This will help others.

Comment

Working...
                X