Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Win2K AD, New DC2003 problem

Hello,

I used the topics of Petri, thx for that (15739) for upgrading Win2K domain to Win2003. I think that the adprep (cd2) \forestprep was good:
    Adprep successfully updated the forest-wide information.
    But I think that the /domainprep was not good, becaude of this line: Adprep verified the state of operation cn=51cba88b-99cf-4e16-bef2-c427b38d0767,cn=Operations,cn=DomainUpdates,cn=Sys tem,DC=domain,DC=extension.
    [Status/Consequence]
    The operation has not run or is not currently running. It will be run next.

When I put a new DC (windows 2003 R2 SP2) to the existing domain everthing went well, after a restart i transfered the FMSO roles also no problem.

Then Microsoft update: kb941672 & kb943484
    After a restart the new Server was damaged, COM+ was starting, no network.
    So I seize the roles back to the old W2K Server.
    I don't no what went wrong, can somebody help me.

How can I now for sure that the domain prep and forest prep went good.

Any kind of information would be great BECAUSE I must put a NEW DC to the existing domain and remove the old W2k Server.

Re: Upgrade Win2K AD, New DC2003 problem

What do you mean by the new server was damaged and no network?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

When Windows was starting UP, preparing network connections for a long time and also for applying computer settings. After logging in the netwerk adapter was gone so no network connection was possible.

System events:
      SAM 12291 SAM failed to start the TCP/IP or SPX/IPX listening thread

LSASRV 32777 The LSA was unable to register its RPC interface over the TCP/IP interface. Please make sure that the protocol is properly installed.

Service Control Manager 7022 The COM+ Event System service hung on starting.
      and a lot of other Service Control Messages.

Boot options:
      Last good configuration didn't work
      Removing the 2 last updates didn't work.

Services like COM+ status STARTING.

I didn't no what to do, so I reinstalled the Server.
      But now I must start all over again but I don't want to have the same situation, if you now what I mean.

The only thing is that maybe the domain or forest prep went wrong!!!!

Comment

i have had a previous problem like this in the past adding a win2k3 server to a win2k domain after upgrading schemas etc. to this day i do not know what causes it and several consultants also do not know though the way to get around it; is to do an in place upgrade of your win2k server to win2k3 then add a freshly built win2k3 box in the domain later then demote the original DC, also if you have certain software on the win2k server that is incompatible with win2k3 ie exchange55 you will need to add a new win2k server into the domain first and do a inplace on that one.

*note - vmware will help alot also always do system state backups on any DC involved in any of the above mentioned steps in case a failure occurrs.

Comment

Originally posted by aviper4u View Post
          i have had a previous problem like this in the past adding a win2k3 server to a win2k domain after upgrading schemas etc. to this day i do not know what causes it and several consultants also do not know though the way to get around it; is to do an in place upgrade of your win2k server to win2k3 then add a freshly built win2k3 box in the domain later then demote the original DC, also if you have certain software on the win2k server that is incompatible with win2k3 ie exchange55 you will need to add a new win2k server into the domain first and do a inplace on that one.

*note - vmware will help alot also always do system state backups on any DC involved in any of the above mentioned steps in case a failure occurrs.
          Thx for your reply .

That's very scary because this Server is more then 5 years old with not enough space I think (750MB). I think the best way is what you say: to build a new Windows 2000 Server SP4 and place it in to the domain as second DC. Then transfer all the FMSO roles. AD is already 2003 (forest and domain prep) I would like to check this because of several errors in the log. Then place the new Windows 2003 R2 Server with SP2 as Third DC into the domain. Then transfer all the roles from the new build Windows 2000 Server to the Windows 2003 R2 Server. Is that correct?
          INFO: I have Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 Server that is a member Server.

Comment

sounds good though when i was having this problem i did an inplace upgrade of win2k server to win2k3 then added a newly built win2k3 server.

Adding a new win2k3 with just win2k servers running should work fine according to alot of documentation though the error you are getting should also not occurr.

What im trying to say is are you sure you wanna risk it as removing DC's from the domain when their not working isnt enjoyable.

good work so far though champ

Comment

Originally posted by aviper4u View Post
              sounds good though when i was having this problem i did an inplace upgrade of win2k server to win2k3 then added a newly built win2k3 server.

Adding a new win2k3 with just win2k servers running should work fine according to alot of documentation though the error you are getting should also not occurr.

What im trying to say is are you sure you wanna risk it as removing DC's from the domain when their not working isnt enjoyable.

good work so far though champ

THX again for replying
              BUT can you tell me if the "errors" in my ADPrep.log are good or bad!
              See attachment.

THX
              Attached Files

Comment

what line/s are referring to in the log file?

Comment

In the post on 27th March 2008 11:18 you can see the adprep log file as attachment. Check the bottem of this file:

Adprep was about to call the following LDAP API. ldap_search_s(). The base entry to start the search is cn=446f24ea-cfd5-4c52-8346-96e170bcb912,cn=Operations,cn=DomainUpdates,cn=Sys tem,DC=domain,DC=extension.

LDAP API ldap_search_s() finished, return code is 0x20

Adprep verified the state of operation cn=446f24ea-cfd5-4c52-8346-96e170bcb912,cn=Operations,cn=DomainUpdates,cn=Sys tem,DC=domain,DC=extension. [Status/Consequence]The operation has not run or is not currently running. It will be run next.

Adprep was about to call the following LDAP API. ldap_search_s(). The base entry to start the search is cn=51cba88b-99cf-4e16-bef2-c427b38d0767,cn=Operations,cn=DomainUpdates,cn=Sys tem,DC=domain,DC=extension.

LDAP API ldap_search_s() finished, return code is 0x20

Adprep verified the state of operation cn=51cba88b-99cf-4e16-bef2-c427b38d0767,cn=Operations,cn=DomainUpdates,cn=Sys tem,DC=domain,DC=extension. [Status/Consequence]The operation has not run or is not currently running. It will be run next.

Comment

Working...
                  X