Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubles adding Computer Accounts to Server 2003

Hello.

This is driving my crazy! I posted the question elsewhere but without helpful responses. This forum seems more likely to produce results. I've read everything I can find but can't find an adequate answer...

I'm doing a simple task, adding a computer account to a Windows 2003 server domain. This is more of a pet-peeve since there are work-arounds, but the damn OS should operate as advertised, no?
    I wanted to do it in the order:

1. In Active Directory, create computer account in appropriate OU.
    2. Log on locally to new PC, join it to the domain with the account name I created in AD.

I received the error "the account already exists."

It's supposed to work. However, since it didn't, I reset the computer account in AD and still received the error message "The account already exists." Of course it does, I created it!!! Can anyone tell me what I'm missing? I realize that yes, I can join the computer to the domain and then move the account into the correct OU, but I'd rather not if I'm joining more than one or two units.

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

Re: Troubles adding Computer Accounts to Server 2003

Very strange. That works fine for me.

Have you tried doing this on a different PC? I.e. It could be some weird issue with the PC your trying to add to the domain.

That's got me stumped!

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'll have a chance to test another PC this week. I'll post the results.

Cheers!

Comment

try this;

dont create new computer account before domain joining process on local PC

first step; connect local PC to domain and reboot
        second step; go to DC and move computer account to relevant OU

see if that works?

Comment

Thanks, but that's the process I'm trying to avoid. I want to prestage the accounts so I don't have to move them into the correct OU afterwards.

Comment

Have you another object in AD with the same name?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X