Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Installer, Cannnot access Windows Installer services

Hi All
    Having some major issues with Windows Installer. Running Windows Server 2000 with SP4 installed. I can't see the Windows Installer service in my services. I have tried these along the way :
    - Re-installing SP4 won't let me as it required WinInstaller.
    - Renaming these files :
    msi.dll
    msiexec.exe
    msihnd.dll
    msimsg.dll
    msinfo32.dll
    msinfo32.exe and re-installing "WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe"
    - Executed the command "Msiexec / unregister" and then "Msiexec /regserver"
    - Run sfc /scannow
    Any help appreciated as I have just installed a new tape drive and can't install the software for the above reasons.....

Re: Windows Installer, Cannnot access Windows Installer services

Problem solved. For those interested :
    Ensure that the location specified in the registry is the correct path to msiexec.exe is specified in the following registry location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ MSIServer

You should see a value called ImagePath, showing the proper location. If it's missing, add it as a String value with the data being the path to the msiexec.exe file, such as:

c:\winnt\system32\msiexec.exe /V

Be sure to enter the correct path, which will vary based on the version of Windows in use. Once the registry entry is properly set, msiexec.exe must be properly "registered" so that it can be invoked properly when needed to install packages. In the interest of thoroughness, I prefer to unregister it first. This is done from a command prompt, as follows:

msiexec /unregister

Followed by:

msiexec /regserver

Comment

Re: Windows Installer, Cannnot access Windows Installer services

Thanks for posting back with your result Josh. Your Community Spirit is greatly appreciated. Look forward to seeing more of you on the site.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
      X