DNS issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS issue

Hi. I'm new at this sorta stuff so please bear with me.

I have a dedicated server. I made a WS2003 R2 EE installation, made it into an AD/DC. I have 2 IP's given to me by the hoster, and have 2 DNS IP's also, which i manually configured in the network settings for the LAN.

I want to install Exchange. Ran dcdiag and fixed a couple of the issues, all fine, now running netdiag I get an error and no idea how to fix it.

DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
    [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not registered correctly on DNS se
    rver 'DNS.FIRST.IP.HERE'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication.
    rver 'DNS.SECOND.IP.HERE'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication.
    [FATAL] No DNS servers have the DNS records for this DC registered.

Re: DNS issue

You want all computers that are part of your domain pointing at the DNS server running on the Windows 2003 Server. The 2003 server will resolve names for external sites for you client workstations etc.

Your server should be using DNS 127.0.0.1.
    Workstations should be using the IP of the Windows 2003 Server as their DNS.

You could also add your ISP's DNS servers to the "forwarding" tab within DNS on the Windows 2003 Server.
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

thank-you

well, there will NOT be any other computers joining to the domain.... it will just be this computer that is the AD/DC

what do I do in this case, and to resolve that netdiag error?

I have 2 DNS "Preferred servers" entries in the network configuration, and a default gateway added as well as the IP Address and subnet mask.

I also did what you said anyway however that still didn't work and gave me a timeout_error on 127.0.0.1 when running the netdiag tool. :-/
      Last edited by firehawk; 15th March 2008, 12:12.

Comment

Is the DNS service installed on the server?

All computers should be pointing to the the DNS server running on the Windows 2003 Server. If you only have the windows 2003 server then it still should be pointing to itself (127.0.0.1). Active Directory needs DNS to function correctly.

You can use your ISP's as forwarding DNS entries. Example.
        Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

hmmm ok, im new to this so bear with me.

DNS IS installed on the server.

the LAN connection settings has 2 preferred DNS Servers, both are the of the hosters. Instead, are you saying to remove it and only enter 127.0.0.1 there and then in the DNS Zone to add the 2 IP's from the hoster in the forwarders tab?

I did that (as above) but still get that error, this time for the IP 127.0.0.1. so hard to configure the server due to my limited knowledge!
          Last edited by firehawk; 15th March 2008, 22:13.

Comment

Yep.

Active Directory needs a local DNS server.

Comment

ok so did I configure it right? Because netdiag still fails at that point except complaining about 127.0.0.1.

I did this....

LAN properties > TCP/IP Properties > Use the following DNS Server addresses: 127.0.0.1

then in dnsmgmt, right clicked on the computer node > properties > Forwarders tab > and entered the 2 DNS entries which are the hosters DNS servers

when I run netdiag after this, it still gives me the error:

rver '127.0.0.1'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication.

Comment

ipconfig /registerdns

Comment

I did that also and still gave me the error.

Comment

Although I didn't read the whole post but did you already tried netdiag /fix
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I did indeed.

errors:

[FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry _ldap._tcp.sandlerltd.co.uk. re-register
                      ation on DNS server '127.0.0.1' failed.
                      DNS Error code: DNS_ERROR_RCODE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry _ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._site
                      s.sandlerltd.co.uk. re-registeration on DNS server '127.0.0.1' failed.
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry _ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.sandlerltd.co.uk.
                      re-registeration on DNS server '127.0.0.1' failed.
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry _ldap._tcp.gc._msdcs.sandlerltd.co.uk. r
                      e-registeration on DNS server '127.0.0.1' failed.
                      s.gc._msdcs.sandlerltd.co.uk. re-registeration on DNS server '127.0.0.1' failed.

[FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry _ldap._tcp.9c762332-3359-4448-b8bf-355f0
                      d1a3422.domains._msdcs.sandlerltd.co.uk. re-registeration on DNS server '127.0.0
                      .1' failed.
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry 6a8e8b3f-d1c1-4577-8034-3b84538e0121._ms
                      dcs.sandlerltd.co.uk. re-registeration on DNS server '127.0.0.1' failed.
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry _kerberos._tcp.dc._msdcs.sandlerltd.co.u
                      k. re-registeration on DNS server '127.0.0.1' failed.
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry _kerberos._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._
                      sites.dc._msdcs.sandlerltd.co.uk. re-registeration on DNS server '127.0.0.1' fai
                      led.
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.sandlerltd.co.uk. r
                      e-registeration on DNS server '127.0.0.1' failed.
                      s.dc._msdcs.sandlerltd.co.uk. re-registeration on DNS server '127.0.0.1' failed.

[FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry _kerberos._tcp.sandlerltd.co.uk. re-regi
                      steration on DNS server '127.0.0.1' failed.
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry _kerberos._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._
                      sites.sandlerltd.co.uk. re-registeration on DNS server '127.0.0.1' failed.
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry _gc._tcp.sandlerltd.co.uk. re-registerat
                      ion on DNS server '127.0.0.1' failed.
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry _gc._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.
                      sandlerltd.co.uk. re-registeration on DNS server '127.0.0.1' failed.
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry _kerberos._udp.sandlerltd.co.uk. re-regi
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry _kpasswd._tcp.sandlerltd.co.uk. re-regis
                      teration on DNS server '127.0.0.1' failed.
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry _kpasswd._udp.sandlerltd.co.uk. re-regis
                      teration on DNS server '127.0.0.1' failed.
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry _ldap._tcp.DomainDnsZones.sandlerltd.co.
                      uk. re-registeration on DNS server '127.0.0.1' failed.
                      s.DomainDnsZones.sandlerltd.co.uk. re-registeration on DNS server '127.0.0.1' fa
                      iled.
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry _ldap._tcp.ForestDnsZones.sandlerltd.co.
                      uk. re-registeration on DNS server '127.0.0.1' failed.
                      s.ForestDnsZones.sandlerltd.co.uk. re-registeration on DNS server '127.0.0.1' fa
                      iled.
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry sandlerltd.co.uk. re-registeration on DN
                      S server '127.0.0.1' failed.
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry gc._msdcs.sandlerltd.co.uk. re-registera
                      tion on DNS server '127.0.0.1' failed.
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry DomainDnsZones.sandlerltd.co.uk. re-regi
                      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry ForestDnsZones.sandlerltd.co.uk. re-regi
                      [FATAL] Fix Failed: netdiag failed to re-register missing DNS entries for th
                      is DC on DNS server '127.0.0.1'.

this is a fresh installation also...

Comment

Can you post an IPconfig /all from the server?

It looks like you didn't installed DNS??
                        Last edited by Dumber; 16th March 2008, 00:53.
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

ipconfig /all:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : spapps
                          Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : sandlerltd.co.uk
                          Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
                          IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                          WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                          DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : sandlerltd.co.uk
                          sandler.co.uk
                          co.uk

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : sandler.co.uk
                          Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet
                          NIC
                          Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-D1-F8-3F-DC
                          DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
                          IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 64.85.165.103
                          Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0
                          IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 64.85.165.102
                          Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0
                          Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 64.85.160.1
                          DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 127.0.0.1

DNS is installed (used manage your server to install DNS and then thats all I did)

Comment

Eh? The server is connected directly to the internet?

TBH it sounds like you need to start again. This time also I would use a non-routable domain name (sandlerltd.local). Can the server not be put behind a NAT router of some sort?

*Edit*

I just noticed also that your domain is sandlerltd.co.uk yet the suffix on your NIC is sandler.co.uk. Maybe try correcting the suffix first.
                            Last edited by ]SK[; 16th March 2008, 09:08.

Comment

yes it is directly connected to the internet. The hoster has given me 2 IP Addresses (as I requested) and they also gave me the DNS Server, subnet mask and gateway details/configuration

Once entered, I can access the internet directly.

I've changed the suffix as you mentioned (sorry, my mistake on that) and still didn't work. It is a fresh box.... so doing it over wouldn't make sense from what I can see.

DNS is installed, as is POP3, Application Server and WINS. no idea where to go now

basically im trying to get MS Exchange server 2003 installed and following through the guidlines/installation steps. And it fails at the netdiag portion
                              Last edited by firehawk; 16th March 2008, 12:45.

Comment

Working...
                              X