Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to change operating system string (win 2003 -> XP)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change operating system string (win 2003 -> XP)

Hi.

I'm trying to install certain software on a Windows Server 2003. Problem is, this software refuses to install on 2003, since it claims it only supports 2000/XP.
    I'm pretty confident that it will run without a problem, so I'd like to give it a shot.

How would I change ( or 'spoof ) the operating system version?

'System Properties -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> System Variables -> OS' doesn't seem to contain the appropriate string.

Thank you very much!

Re: How to change operating system string (win 2003 -> XP)

What is the software?

Normally servers are very intolerant of non-approved software and you should be careful not to break business critical applications by doing things you shouldn't.

IMHO, use an XP box (maybe on Virtual PC) if you really need to run this application.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would recommend against this if I was you. You could introduce more issues. What happens when it comes to patch Tuesday and your server thinks it's XP?

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

The ultimate goal is to install and run the software and make it think the host OS is Windows XP, not to make Windows 2003 think it's Windows XP right? If the installer is an .exe file you can right click it, select properties, select the compatibility tab and set the appropriate compatibility level. After the program installs, right click it's main executable and do the same thing.

Comment

Before anyone suggest it, be wary of posting anything that may contravene Microsofts EULA. Any such post will be dealt with severely. Thanks.
          11 was a racehorse.
          22 was 12
          1111 race 1 day

************************************************** * ************************************************** ***********
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and click the LIKE option in the bottom right corner **
          ************************************************** ************************************************** ****** * *****

Comment

Wow! I didn't expect to receive so many replies. Thank you guys!

Ossian, I am actually using this OS for my desktop. (I had a fully legal copy).

m80arm, right.

joeqwerty, bingo! That did it. (I totally forgot about compatibility mode)
            Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
            X