Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raid-5 on Server 2003

Hello again

The server has three hard disks, all 200gb, all originally with single NTFS partition, all now converted to dynamic

Disk Management reports: volume (C: ) simple; dynamic; NTFS; Healthy(System); capacity 189.91gb; free space 186.93gb

If I try to install a volume on either of the two unallocated disks, RAID-5 is grayed out.

Many thanks for any help you can offer

Fen

ok first you have to make the two unallocated disks dynamic then try to go through the wizard for raid 5. that should work.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the reply BamBam

The other two disks are dynamic and unallocated ! I'm thinking now the problem is that there is no unallocated space on the system disk.

Fortunately this is a fresh installation of Server 2003 so I'm planning to go back to square one and install it again on a 25gb partition. I'll then create a Raid 5 set on the unallocated space on the 3 disks to accommodate applications and data - does that make sense do you think ?

Fen

Comment

Yes, make sense. For this to work you need unallocated space on the C drive and NOT free space, so putting the O/S on a 25GB partition and leaving the rest for the RAID should work.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes the free space on the system drive is correct for this operation. that should work.

Comment

Thanks !

Yes - it worked !!

Fen

Comment

Working...
            X