Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Ping Domain when secondary domain is down

Hi There,

I have setup 2 AD server, DNS setup on both replicating each others, 1 domain.

AD1.testing.com 192.168.1.1
    AD2.testing.com 192.168.1.2

when I ping testing.com ==> reply is from 192.168.1.2

Primary Dns on Xp is 192.168.1.1

If I down AD2.testing.com. ==> request timeout when I ping testing.com. I thought AD1.testing.com should reply when AD2.testing.com is down.

Why? Please advise.

Thanks
    Daniel.K

Re: Cannot Ping Domain when secondary domain is down

After you shut down AD2 run ipconfig/flushdns and try your ping again.

Comment

tried that. cannot.

My question is y the 1st server does not response to the ping?

Thanks

Comment

How long are you waiting before you ping as clients will normally cache AD information. Try waiting 5 minutes or so. Also, do the clients have the second DC configured as a DNS server also? If not, that is the problem. clients need to be able to locate a DNS server in order to find AD information as well as resolve DNS requests. If your clients are configured to use only AD2 for DNS then they cannot resolve DNS queries or locate AD records when AD2 is down.
        Last edited by joeqwerty; 12th March 2008, 03:41.

Comment

Client is configure AD1.testing.com IP as Primary DNS and AD1.testing.com secondary DNS (search order).

Both AD are in the same network. But when I ping from client "testing.com", AD2 replies instead of AD1. Why?

When I down AD2 and ping from client again. no response.

Thanks

Comment

Are both DC's also GC's? If not, I believe that can cause your problem as well. (Sorry, I forgot to mention that in my earlier posts).

Comment

Hiya,

Might I ask how you know that AD2 is responding when you query AD1? Are you using nslookup? Can you output its results for us if so? ("set debug" might help too)

Before doing that you may wish to have a look at the DNS zone for testing.com on both servers, inspecting the zone type they hold and if you have forwarders configured on the servers themselves.
              Another thing to look at is how the servers are themselves configured to resolve DNS queries in their network properties.

One way of looking at this problem is if we can tell why one works we can then repeat that on the other.
              I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
              Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

I am new to AD. It might be the way I setup the DNS. zone?

Or can you tell me how to setup 2 AD with 2 DNS in the same domain.

backing up each other. like if I shutdown 1 but the other should reply when I ping the domain name.

Please advise.

Thanks

Comment

Your pinging your domain name?
                  I don't see why you should run into problems just because you cannot ping the domain name. Computers should still be able to authenticate with AD etc as they have the second DNS server to resolve other DC's from.
                  Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Working...
                  X