Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do i create a backup of my Server (AD/DC)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i create a backup of my Server (AD/DC)?

Hi guys,

I have Windows server 2003 and i want to create a back up of it especially the active directory. I have already created a backup by going to Stat>All Programs>Accessories>Sytemtools>Backup. I chose advance settings>Backup and checked the system state checkbox, whcih i still doubt if im doing the right thing. Am i? I came up with that because mostly my research tells me to do that. Anyway if i am in the right track of making a backup of my AD, my next question is about restoring the back up. This i really need to make sure. because i am reinstalling the server.
    1. Do i need to like recreate the configuration of the server. (e.g Computer name, NetBIOS name, Domain name)
    2. Do i have to partition the disk exactly the same as the partition (volume name, volume size.. etc..) of my server before creating the back up?
    3. What do i really need to do step by step to restore the AC from the backup i made?

So basically my question is Do i have to recreate the server setting and configuration without the Active Directory.

I hope yo are not confused with my questions. Thanks in advance guys.
    Ronuel
    MCP
    There is only one way to find Out..Its to try it and/or Do it...

Re: How do i create a backup of my Server (AD/DC)?

How many domain controllers do you have?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

We only have 1 domain sir. We dont have a back up or second domain yet because the company just started. So basically i just want learn how to back up and restore our current domain to its working state in case disaster happens. Thanks
      Ronuel
      MCP

Comment

Not how many domains, but how many domain controllers.
        Leave 'reputation' when deserved :

Comment

The only way to back up / restore Active Directory (and a few other critical items) is via a System State backup
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Making a backup image of the entire server for disaster recovery is one method. The backup file would be large and have to be stored on external media such as a USB drive.

Visit www.acronis.com and review their products.

Acronis True Image software for server can create a full backup of the entire server WHILE IT IS RUNNING to external media. It also can backup active SQL and other databases without stopping them. For disaster recovery, you have the image file that can be restored to a working system.

Comment

Originally posted by popeye67 View Post
              Not how many domains, but how many domain controllers.
              Just one Domain controller sir. I already have the system state back up but what other things do i need to restore it. Because i also have DNS and DHCP in this server.
              1.Do i have to install them too before doing the restore process?
              2.Do i have to install Active Directory via DCpromo before restoring or after installation of the server ill just resorte the back up?

Thanks for your help guys
              Ronuel
              MCP

Comment

You may want to look at this

Active Directory Disaster Recovery

Comment

Working...
                X