No announcement yet.

Help! - Win 2003 - SAM initialization failed, Directory Service cannot start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! - Win 2003 - SAM initialization failed, Directory Service cannot start

Windows 2003 Server Standard SP1

Was a power cut yesterday and the server didn't get shut down properly. System isn't backed up either!

Windows boots to some extent, doesn't get as far as the login prompt, but comes up with the following error:

lsass.exe - System Error

Security Accounts Manager initialization failed because of the following error: Directory Service cannot start. Error Status: 0xc00002e1. Please click OK to shutdown this system and reboot Directory Services Restore Mode, check the event log for more detailed information.

In the background on the Windows bar it says - The Active Directory is rebuilding indices. Please wait.

But that was left running overnight to no avail.

When you click on OK, the server restarts itself.

I've been into DSRM and tried MS article 258062 without luck.

I run ntdsutil files info and the files appear, but not the temp.edb. Don't know if that is important.

Then I run ntdsutil files integrity and it says database is CORRUPTED!

The next 2 command seem to do nothing:
    ntdsutil "sem d a" go
    ntdsutil "sem d a" "go f"

I'm stuck!!! Help!!!

Re: Help! - Win 2003 - SAM initialization failed, Directory Service cannot start

Some of the entries in event viewer are:

Event ID - 1003

Active Directory could not be initialized.

The operating system cannot recover from this error.

User Action
    Restore the local domain controller from backup media.

Additional Data
    Error value:
    -528 %2

Event ID - 455

NTDS (68 NTDSA: Error -1811 (0xfffff8ed) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\ntds\edb.log.

Event ID - 465

NTDS (370 Corruption was detected during soft recovery in logfile C:\WINDOWS\ntds\edb.log. The failing checksum record is located at position 10317:427. Data not matching the log-file fill pattern first appeared in sector 10318. This logfile has been damaged and is unusable.

Event ID - 477

NTDS (370 The log range read from the file "C:\WINDOWS\ntds\edb.log" at offset 5282304 (0x0000000000509a00) for 512 (0x00000200) bytes failed verification due to a range checksum mismatch. The read operation will fail with error -501 (0xfffffe0b). If this condition persists then please restore the logfile from a previous backup.

Comment

Re: Help! - Win 2003 - SAM initialization failed, Directory Service cannot start

That's a bummer, try a chkdsk?

Comment

The solution

Go to command prompt

Type - esentutl /p “e:\system\ntds\ntds.dit”

Ntds.dit file is now ok (or hopefully will be)

Go to C:\Windows\ntds

Rename all the *.log files as *.bak

Reboot the server

Comment

I got the same trouble

I tried to reisntall and choose the repair option, but it doesn't work too.

please help...

Comment

Working...
          X