Dual NIC's questions in Windows Server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual NIC's questions in Windows Server 2003

I have a Windows 2003 Server box that I built for running VMware server. (Studying for my MCSE) This system has dual NIC cards installed. I have assigned each a static address. I would like to have 1 NIC serve as a "Inside" NIC with no firewall on so I can remotely manage (via VNC/RDP) all apps from my LAN with no issues. I would like to have the second "Outside" NIC with Windows Firewall on opening only certain ports (eventually able to put this on the DMZ and be somewhat protected) On this box I have DNS/AD running. I have 2 different questions

1. If I assign the same gateway to both NIC's I get an error and I am unable to access the net. So what I did is left the gateway to my "Inside" NIC to 0.0.0.0 Should I be assigning a different gateway?

2. How can I specify which NIC applications are run though? For example how can I have all of my LAN machines contact my "Inside" NIC for DNS queries? Or how can I have VNC listen for connections only on my "Inside" NIC

Thanks in advance.
    Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Re: Dual NIC's questions in Windows Server 2003

1. A default gateway is a computer setting. You cannot have more than one.

You should set the GW on your Outside NIC.

2. That depends on the application. You have to set which interface it should "listen" to. If you're running MS-DNS right click the server > Properties > Interfaces.

Comment

the default gateway is just a static route. you can manually set up as many as you like for different networks
      ________
      MARIJUANA VAPORIZERS
      Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:13.
      Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
        the default gateway is just a static route. you can manually set up as many as you like for different networks
        Not quite true.. The Default gateway is a default static route.

For example:
        If a client want's to connect to an ipaddress which doens't belong to his own subnet (otherwise he will start broadcasting) he will first have a look to his own routing table. If he can find a static route, he will uses that. If not then he will contact the default gateway. Such thing as a last resort.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

that's exactly what I meant. and as I said, you can set as many static routes as you like, the system is simply supposed to go through the routing table and pick the appropriate one
          ________
          Ford F-650 Specifications
          Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:14.
          Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Working...
          X