Dual boot problems - Server 2003 / Linux FC6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual boot problems - Server 2003 / Linux FC6

I have a system I am using for a university project that dual booted between Windows server 2003 and Linux Fedora Core 6 operating systems using the Linux grub bootloader.

I got this working the first time by installing windows first on a 25gig partition, then installing linux on another 25gig partition with a 1gig swap parition. Doing it this way meant the grub bootloader was used by default and everything worked just dandy.

Anyway, I needed to reinstall Windows and thought I could do so with no problems. So I went ahead and installed windows by formatting the previous windows partition and creating a new partition (in the same space) and installing windows on that (so it would look exactly as before). But now when I boot up, it goes straight into Windows and the Windows bootloader doesn't allow me to go into linux (which is clearly still on the HDD).

Is there any fix for this by editting the boot.ini file or something? Otherwise I will have to reinstall Linux

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Dual boot problems - Server 2003 / Linux FC6

Re-installing Windows has overwritten the GRUB boot loader in the MBR.

This will help

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=690912

I know its Ubuntu but it says it will work for any modern Linux OS

Comment

Thanks wullieb1 but I already tried repairing my Linux install which just corrupted it so I've had to reinstall... Nevermind.

Checked out that guide though and it seems pretty good... its gone in my favourites for the next time i f*ck up!

Comment

Originally posted by GuyWood13 View Post
        Thanks wullieb1 but I already tried repairing my Linux install which just corrupted it so I've had to reinstall... Nevermind.

Checked out that guide though and it seems pretty good... its gone in my favourites for the next time i f*ck up!
        Ahh well at least the guide was useful.

Comment

Working...
        X