No announcement yet.

DHCP assigning default gateway to client - winserv2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP assigning default gateway to client - winserv2003

I'm setting up various networking services as part of a university project I am doing. I am running a windows server as a DHCP server (amongst over things) to assign dynamic ip addresses to a client workstation.

Now, I can apply all my desired settings fine... all but the default gateway (router). I want point the client workstation straight towards a router to allow internet access but instead each time, the IP address for the default gateway sets as the IP address for the DHCP server (that is assigning all the details in the first place)...

I've tried rebooting the service and server, renewed/released the ip address many times but all give the same results.

Any ideas why this isn't working? I'm pretty sure I've configured everything correctly. Is this a common problem? Have I missed something obvious? Is the world round?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: DHCP assigning default gateway to client - winserv2003

Just fixed it myself. It was human error (very stupid human, in this case!).

Somehow, TCP/IP settings on the client had a value in default gateway, even though it was set to obtain IP address automatically. I thought selecting that just cleared all the fields.

Thanks for reading if you did.

Re: DHCP assigning default gateway to client - winserv2003

solved within 5 minutes... well done
      Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"