Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which kind of server should i choose for my environment?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which kind of server should i choose for my environment?

Hi all, i am new and inexperience to windows server and would like to set up a server environment in my small office of 15 computers just for fun.

In my office, i would like to set up a windows server with other 15 computers connecting to the server's windows environment (not sure if you guys know what i am talking about). Is it Terminal Service that i should choose when i install win server 2003? Also, if it is terminal service, how am i going to connect the client to the terminal server?

looking forward to your help. Thank y'all in advance.
    Mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open!

Re: Which kind of server should i choose for my environment?

right if your only setting up for fun, i would choose an linux based server. ubuntu being the easiest to setup. only saying this as linux-free windows-pay.

windows 2003 is a good GUI based server, basicly xp but server......a terminal server is like DOS etc, if its going to pointed at the internet at any point a terminal based server is much more secure, and not easily hackable. we need more info. what are you going to be used for, main purposes etc

Comment

You'll need to get w2k3 server (not sbs) to do that. Configure Term Services for app mode. Connect clients via RD.
      Leave 'reputation' when deserved :

Comment

For a network of 15 users then SBS is by far the best bet.

By adding another Server 2003 system you can have terminal services.

My question is do you really need TS??

More info on Windows Server 2003 R2

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/default.mspx

More info on SBS 2003 R2

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx

Comment

linux server - do NOT use ubuntu. get Debian, if you like that flavour.
          ________
          VAPORIZER PIPE
          Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:06.
          Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
            linux server - do NOT use ubuntu. get Debian, if you like that flavour.
            Care to give reasons? Your comment lacks credibility without them.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by lynch_3001 View Post
              right if your only setting up for fun, i would choose an linux based server. ubuntu being the easiest to setup. only saying this as linux-free windows-pay.

windows 2003 is a good GUI based server, basicly xp but server......a terminal server is like DOS etc, if its going to pointed at the internet at any point a terminal based server is much more secure, and not easily hackable. we need more info. what are you going to be used for, main purposes etc
              A terminal server is like DOS?! 2003 is basically XP but server?!

What on EARTH are you talking about???!!

Terminal Server is a product (built in to Windows Server but not installed by default) which allows remote users to use a server's computing power to run applications rather than their own local processor. They get a full GUI on the remote server and can run the shared applications within that GUI.

Windows Server 2003 is a fully featured server OS which allows many, many functions to be shared by a lot of users. SBS is a version of Windows Server 2003 which limits the number of users to 75; but it contains all the services you could need - a web server, an ISA-based firewall and a Mail Server (Microsoft Exchange).
              Last edited by Stonelaughter; 5th March 2008, 16:06.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Have a look on below link.....
                http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx

if you can download evaluation copy do that and check ......

you can find out the vitual lab too on M$ site, for that you need to use your keyboard .............

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                  Care to give reasons? Your comment lacks credibility without them.
                  in my own experience, and there are quite a few years of that, Ubuntu has never been the best choice for servers. I always found that Ubuntu repos lacked quite a few necessary PERL modules for example, and lots of things easily done on Debian were a real pain in the (_._) to install on ubuntu, even when using CPAN istead of apt.

enabling Debian native repos on Ubuntu for those reasons solved the issue, but managed to (of course!) break Ubuntu's own update process.
                  It's probably the best linux desktop distro, but it is not something to choose for a production server.

For a server, I'd go with Debian/RH(or CentOS), or go the extra mile and install FreeBSD or Solaris for even more stability

is that enough?
                  ________
                  Mercedes-benz w114 history
                  Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:06.

Comment

hi all, thanks for the input.

i'll have 28 clients to be exact (will increase to about 50 clients by this year). because i've no experience in server, so i need your help to give me ideas. I'll definitely add a win server in my environment, because adding windows xp license to all computer seems very costly to me and hard for me to manage them individually.

anyway, if i have the server set up, how do i configure client to use RD to connect to the windows server?

i need help.

thank y'all in advance
                    Mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open!

Comment

why exactly do you need an RD?

what are the clients going to be doing exactly?
                      ________
                      HERBAL STORE
                      Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:08.

Comment

Working...
                      X