Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Login box grayed out on DC

Hi,

On my DC (only 1) the username/password fields are grayed out. So that you can't login. The domain option is available, but that's it.

I've done some research, and it seems to usually be something related to vmware. However, I'm not running vmware at all.

Are there any other options besides a hard reboot?

Thanks
    David

Re: Login box grayed out on DC

Is this with RDP, console or both?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Via console. I can't attempt to log in via Terminal Services until tomorrow when I'm onsite. (Someone else on site was able to verify via console).

Thanks
      David

Comment

I remember seeing this on WinNT 4.0 Server, and it was a problem with having run out of memory. A re-boot usually cleared the problem, but if there's any application that might have a memory leak, it could just re-appear. It's also possible that the DC simply isn't configured with sufficient RAM. If a re-boot doesn't work, see if there's a means of upgrading the RAM. If you can login after a fresh re-boot, look at memory use and see if there's an issue. Also check the paging file. It's usually good practice to have one that's at least as big as physical RAM, plus 100 MEG.

Steve
        (aka sgmunson)

Comment

Originally posted by sgmunson View Post
          It's usually good practice to have one that's at least as big as physical RAM, plus 100 MEG.

Actually you should have the page file 1.5 times the size of physical memory, so if you have 1Gb of RAM, make the page file 1.5Gb. Try and put this on a different partition than the system drive though, as I find that I get better performance.

Comment

Working...
          X