Raoming Profile Copied when User Uses System Console for login

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raoming Profile Copied when User Uses System Console for login

When one of my users with a Roaming Profile logins in at the system console to do light admin activities the W2K3 OS is putting a copy of his profile in the c:\documents and settings folder. I have 2 user profiles with limited admin rights and both of their profiles have been copied onto the c: drive. I only noticed this because the user I just gave admin rights to logged in yesterday and his profile is over 700MB. Is this normal to have an extra copy of the profile stuck in the c:\docs folder when using the system console or do I have a problem?

Thanks

Re: Raoming Profile Copied when User Uses System Console for login

Hello,
    Consider having a look at your GPOs, particularly Computer Configuration ->Administrative Templates ->System ->User Profiles ->Delete Cached Copies of Roaming Profiles.
    Deleting that 700MB profile might not be the best idea, it would have to be copied back over each time as per my understanding of it.

Also maybe have a look at User Configuration ->Administrative Templates ->System ->User Profiles -> Limit profile sizes.
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Maebe, Thanks for the suggestions.

The "Delete cached profile" GPO is currently "Not Configured". In most instances I would think it would be advantageous to keep the cached profile in place so not sure I want change all the user's settings for this one instance.

Prior to this I thought we'd done a good job of keeping all of the "user data" off of the sysvol and am quite puzzled as to why the OS decided to put a copy of the profile there.

Is there a way to prevent the user profile from being placed on the C: drive (sysvol) in the first place? Rather than just deleting the cached file after login?

We have a large amount of space available to our users on our data drive so limiting their disk quota is something we haven't been concerned about yet.

Thanks.

Comment

One possible solution might be to set the userprofile user variable on the PC for these two users.
        If you right click on My Computer ->Properties ->Advanced ->Environment ->User Variables you can add it there if it isn't already.
        Then log off and back on.

If that doesn't help you maybe take a look at a reg key for the subfolders within the userprofile:
        http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kba...StartMenu.html

Maybe someone else has a better idea?
        Last edited by Maebe; 1st March 2008, 02:51.
        I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
        Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Another thought is to redirect the My Documents folder, and the Desktop. That done, the profile should be a lot smaller. I rarely use roaming profiles without first moving the docs and desktop folders out of the way, usually onto a server share, so that they do not move around with the roaming profile and bloat it up. I realise this isn't exactly what you are after, but it is a consideration for you to take into account.
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.
          MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

One solution to this problem with profiles is to have a separate ID for any individual who requires admin rights. Example: normal userid for John A Smith is JASMIT, and the admin id would be JASMIT1.

The "1 ID" would only have admin rights, and could be limited to logging on only from the admin console machine. This might be a way to get around the roaming profile problem.

Steve
            (aka sgmunson)

Comment

Thanks for the great input. I will implement the separate user ID idea right away and then will roll in the other suggestions.

Appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
              X