Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time server

Hello all
    i was wondering how can i change the time server from the BDC into the PDC, currently i can't change it
    and once i'm writing NET TIME on one client it shows me that trhe time server is defined as BDC.

thnkx in advance

Fensi

Re: Time server

Originally posted by fensi View Post
    Hello all
    i was wondering how can i change the time server from the BDC into the PDC
    Are you using NT servers?
    If you are actually using 2000/2003 and in an Active Directory environment, it's the PDC Emulator role holder that is the time server. For more information on the FSMO roles see this article http://www.petri.com/understanding_fsmo_roles_in_ad.htm
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Just to add in what Jeremy said:

In 2k/2k3 machines may sync their times either from PDC or from any ADC but ADC will sync it from PDC only. So indirectly all are getting sync with PDC only.....

Ref: See the attached doc.

Regards,
      Attached Files
      Kapil Sharma
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

thank you all for the quick reply, my problem is that my PDC is the PDC EMOLATOR but from some reason once i'm checking NET TIME on one of the clients - its taking me to the BDC.
        My server PDC and BDC are 2003 server and the stations are XP Pro.

each member on the domain has a net logon script as well in which he gets the time from the BDC as :net time \\bdc /set /yes

I've tried several scripts but nothing is heling - you can as well see the progress on this issue on the IT Experts on Tapuz:
        http://www.tapuz.co.il/tapuzforum/ma....asp?forum=956
        thnx in advance

Alon

Comment

Originally posted by fensi View Post
          thank you all for the quick reply, my problem is that my PDC is the PDC EMOLATOR but from some reason once i'm checking NET TIME on one of the clients - its taking me to the BDC.
          My server PDC and BDC are 2003 server and the stations are XP Pro.

each member on the domain has a net logon script as well in which he gets the time from the BDC as :net time \\bdc /set /yes

If your net logon script is specifying the 'bdc' as the time server, as you state above, then when you type net time, that's what you get. Or am I not understanding you correctly?

By default, the PDC emulator will be the time server and that should point to an external source.

If you need to use the Windows time server, you'll need to open up UDP port 123 on your firewall, if you have one!

Comment

There is NO PDC or BDC in an Active Directory environment.

Time Server is an Option you can include in the DHCP Scope Options (Option 004) and this will be picked up by the client (assuming you are using DHCP of course).

Have you checked the Event Viewer for w32time errors?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

There are NO BDC's in Windows Server 2003 Active Directory. There are Domain Controllers and Global Catalog servers, and there is one domain controller marked as the "PDC Emulator" which PRETENDS to be a PDC (a) for making sure password changes and account lockouts are handled correctly, and (b) for supporting legacy domain controllers within an AD domain. Other than that, all domain controllers are equal.

So long as your clients are getting accurate time which is delivered via a domain controller it does not matter a JOT which one they point at; because ALL domain controllers get their time from the PDC Emulator.
              Last edited by Stonelaughter; 28th February 2008, 13:18.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
              X