X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test DC on the same network as Live DC

Hi,
    We have an office setup with two DCs as follows:
    DC1 as first DC and DC2 as replication partner. Our domain is called apnfinda.nz and everthing is working fine.

I have now installed a test setup that is similar to the office ( DCTST1 & DCTST2 ) however on a different network comprising of a small 8 port switch. The DCs are installed with a different domain name as apnfindatest.nz

I am not sure what are the issues or problems that can arise if I connect the test setup to the office network. Both being on different forest, I understand that this should be alright.

What I am trying to achieve is that, if the above works alright then I do not require additional cabling and the 8 port switch. Moreover, I can also do all my testing from my test desktops/laptops from anywhere within the office.

Pls let me have your comments.

Regards,

Pankajb

Re: Test DC on the same network as Live DC

Hi there,
    If your test server belong to different forest I do not think there would be any problem. You can hook up your test DC in your existing environment without any drama

Comment

Hi ,

ahmer_sahab quoted

If your test server belong to different forest I do not think there would be any problem. You can hook up your test DC in your existing environment without any drama

Many thanks for the information.

I also anticipate that there would not be any drama however does anyone have any experience of doing it actually.

Just playing safe in case any issues surfaces

Shall be grateful for further comments by other members as well.

Regards,

Pankajb

Comment

from what you have described i do not believe you will have any issues, though in saying that and just like on all forums if something does happen nobody will be burning the midnight oil with you...

whenever i have setup mirrored systems i have run them on a segregated lan and connected into the lan using an RDP connection of a cheap ADSL service running on the segregated lan, but i did things in this way because i was testing backups.

Comment

I wouldn't worry so much about AD itself, I would worry about DHCP. Two DHCP can NOT reside on the same cable segment.

I've never heard of any issues relating to have 2 different domains on the same physical network.
          Jake G

Former Microsoft MVP - IIS ('02-'06)

Comment

Working...
          X