Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accessing a server remotely (was:Newbie Help)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing a server remotely (was:Newbie Help)

Hey all,

I'm a new Computer Science teacher, and my students want to make and learn how to use a server. We would like to be able to ultimately:

- store files for each user (which we can do now - but not from their homes)
    - access the box remotely (which I can do from inside the school walls - but not from home)
    - upload websites to it to test php and mysql scripts
    - run a game on it (like Unreal or something like that)

So, I don't know how to access the box from home. I assume I have to find an open port? How do I do that (considering I am in a school)?

Sorry for the ignorant questions but I don't really know where to go from here.

Thanks!

Re: Newbie Help

- Hamachi
    - Remote Desktop (port 3389) or VNC (5900). Talk to the network admin for the school as these may not be allowed through the firewall (if there is one)
    - FTP (Port 21) or Hamachi, which means configuring IIS Services, MySQL, PHP, etc...
    - Hosting a game server... You will need to make note of the Port that is used when going through the game software installation.

Also, you will need to know your Public IP address. Your network admin should be able to tell you what it is or assign one to you. He may need to do NAT and/or PAT on the main router/firewall.
    Jake G

Former Microsoft MVP - IIS ('02-'06)

Comment

Re: Newbie Help

Considering you want to run a server within the school's network, I'd definitely talk to the school / school district's network admin. They can figure out a way to do this, but stay within the school's tight network.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Accessing a server remotely (was:Newbie Help)

Next time read the forum rules and pick a better thread topic for your posts:

http://forums.petri.com/announcement.php?f=25

Thanks

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry the title of my message used the work 'help' in it. I guessed I missed the rule about that one.

Ya, I tried asking the network admin but they are not allowing anything. They are even taking away the rights of teachers to administer their own server at the school. So we can no longer add a user or remove a user or ban a user. We can not install or remove any software. If maintenace needs to be done the board of ed has to make an appointment to come to the school. So it can be a month of waiting to have one item updated or installed. There is so much red tape that they allow NOTHING. So, who suffers? not the teacher - the students do. Education is sacrificed in the name of red tape.

Thanks for the advice JakeG - I'll do some more research. I literally don't know where to click to access this information.

cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
            Sorry the title of my message used the work 'help' in it. I guessed I missed the rule about that one.
            Here you go:

3) Give your post a good topic (or subject line), reflecting the question's intentions

Bad examples:
            For example, if you use a topic like
            Quote:
            PLEASE HELP, I NEED HELP N O W !!!
            or a stupid subject line like
            Quote:
            Windows 2000 help
            I will personally kick you out of here. So is using idioting topic titles such as
            Quote:
            Hi!
            or
            Quote:
            I hate Microsoft
            I don't care about your love relations with Bill, I do care for my forums. Other people need to know what the thread is about, and using stupid titles like these won't help.
            Bad subject lines usually tell us it's a poorly written question. We don't like that.

Good example:
            On the contrary, using a topic like this one
            Quote:
            Help in recovering local admin pwd on WinXP SP2 floppyless laptop
            Will actually bring people in, the ones that know the answer, and also those who do not, but would like to find what the answer is.
            Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X