Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP & RAS [ Can't get rid of duplicate IP's ]

Hello,

I have Windows 2003 server hosting DHCP server service. No other services running on this server.

Problem: in DHCP pool I see single desktop pc taking multiple IP's. And in status it shows a icon of telephone and in Unique ID tab it says RAS. The same PC has again DHCP generator Unique ID too.

I remove those IP's to make my DHCP pool free. Is this because of XP desktops using Remote Desktop Conenction to connect to another XP machine ? Anti virus is updated on PC and I dont feel its due to malware. I have single subnet of 192.168.x.x . No complications.

I set lease expire duration = 3 days. But this RAS problem really seems strange. I found not much info at KB articles. Any solution ?

I went through this KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171860/en-us Not much info ..

Regards,
    AmeY.
    All in 1
    Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Re: DHCP & RAS [ Can't get rid of duplicate IP's ]

Are you saying that you see multiple ip addresses leased to the same MAC address?

I have found that with RAS installed it "reserves" ip addresses from my DHCP pool and the only way to stop it is to remove RAS.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      Are you saying that you see multiple ip addresses leased to the same MAC address?
      In my DHCP "Address Lease" I dont see MAC address column but PC names. [ FQDN name of all desktops,servers] .

I see client IP addresses. And what I found is several IP addresses are used by same PC.[ by FQDN name of those PC's who are taking more than 1 IP] And "Unique ID"s are labeled as "RAS" .
      All in 1

Comment

Have those computers dialed in to your RAS server? If so, then they will get another ip address as the PPTP adapter on their computer is distinctly different from their NIC. IP addresses are based on the adapter not the computer. For instance I have an internal ethernet NIC and a wireless NIC and each one gets it's own ip address.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          I have found that with RAS installed it "reserves" ip addresses from my DHCP pool and the only way to stop it is to remove RAS.

You could use a static pool instead which should remove the reservations in DHCP.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I found the culprit !! It was "IpMessenger". When user sends messege using "seal" the actual seal uses RAS. But its weird, how the ipmessenger selects RAS? We dont have RAS server or IP messenger server.
            All in 1

Comment

Working...
            X