Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 exchange and web site on 1 server

Hi

I'm testing trying to run a web site which is independant of the default web site so that I can host owa exchange and a web site at the same time.

Every time I create a web site it seems to stop OWA (exchange) from working is there a white paper for a dummy?

port/ip

you should try specifieing a diffrent port for the second site, or add another IP address to the machine, and make each of the sites to listen to a specific IP.

if you need further walkthrough for the process, you can refer to http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...RG_CFG_12.mspx

enjoy!
    Yaniv Feldman
    Microsoft Security Regional Director
    Microsoft Management Expert
    MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

i doesn't work

I read this and followed it but as soon as I switch one on the other doesn't work. The first site is OWA in exchange and as soon as I change this it stops working.

Ive got another site working before on this server but can't recall how to do it. any ideas?

my router will only port forward tcp port 80 to 1 IP address

Comment

then, my friend, you are in a jam...

u need 2 IP addresses or 2 ports...

ps
        never change the owa port, change the second site's....

and when you access that site, access it with http://servernameortnumber/
        Yaniv Feldman
        Microsoft Security Regional Director
        Microsoft Management Expert
        MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

Have you looked into using host headers. I've accomplished the same thing on my own server this way. When you create the second virtual site and it asks you for a host name type in the fully qualified domain name you want to use even if it's a subdomain of the owa site.

Leave all the other options default and finish the wizard. Now when you want to go to the new site type in fully qualified domain name and IIS will automatically redirect to the second virtual host.

But remember as mentioned before any changes like this should be made to the second virtual site not to the one running owa.

Good luck.

Comment

It certainly looks like you need to use a different port or as suggested host headers. You say that your router will only forward port 80 to 1 ip address. So you should be able to forward say port 81 to a different ip address as well as forwarding port 80 to the first.

That should solve your problem.
            Server 2000 MCP
            Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

did host headers

i did the host headers and seems to work locally but I can't get my OWA over the net it says it's unavailable at this time, yesterday it did this all day till 5pm when it started to work so Ive cracked it but think there is another problem now

anyway cheers chaps for the info

Comment

the host header name you entered has to be a fully qualified domain name that is available from the net. it it's an internal only domain then it wont work.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1469
                  the host header name you entered has to be a fully qualified domain name that is available from the net. it it's an internal only domain then it wont work.
                  Are you sure? You could just put www.mywebsite.com <your ip address> into your hosts file and that will work fine. We use hostheaders on our webservers and do this for testing purposes instead of playing with our production DNS.
                  Server 2000 MCP
                  Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb
                    Are you sure? You could just put www.mywebsite.com <your ip address> into your hosts file and that will work fine. We use hostheaders on our webservers and do this for testing purposes instead of playing with our production DNS.
                    yes that would work but for what jonny_2good is doing he needs his external dns to have that fqdn available.

Comment

I meant just for testing. Its just a little obvious that he would need FQDN for it to work for the rest of the outside world.
                      Server 2000 MCP

Comment

chaps

again, cheers for the info. It worked and I did need a FQDN, now Ive realised something else is up the swanny- wireless!

Comment

Re: chaps

Originally posted by jonny_2good
                          again, cheers for the info. It worked and I did need a FQDN, now Ive realised something else is up the swanny- wireless!
                          Oh dear!! Oh well at least you got one problem sorted! Good luck with the wireless!
                          Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
                          X