Windows 2000 DNS Doesn't Resolve ONLY 1 Address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 DNS Doesn't Resolve ONLY 1 Address

We're having a strange issue with our DNS on our Server. First a bit of information. We originally had one sever, we'll call it SERVER1 for convience, performing DNS, and DHCP. Because of this server's configuration, and our plans for it, we needed to put another server, which we'll call SERVER2 in it's place performing the DNS and DHCP. We downed SERVER1 and then configured SERVER2 to perform DNS and DHCP.

SERVER2 is successfully issuing DHCP configurations to all clients, and the DNS function is not having any problems resolving addresses such as Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, or A1 Printech, which is our sister company. It is having a problem resolving www.a1copysystems.com, which is our site. The site is available externally, but appears that it is the only address that our internal DNS server can't resolve.

As far as my netwoking qualifactions, I'm a novice at this. I was thrown into being our systems admin because I'm the most computer literate person in the shop. The highest network cert I hold is the CompTIA Network +.

Timothy N. Couch
    A1 Copy Systems.

dear timothy,

first of all, welcome.

second, there are a few specifications missing in your details.
    first is your internal domain name (which from your problem is, i assume is a1copysystems.com) and your DNS Zone type, which i also assume is active directory integrated (if i am wrong in my assumptions - i'll stop making them - but my solution won't do the trick for you).

you should create an A (host) record in your forward zone called "www". and give it the internal/external (depends on where your server is and how you want your internal users connecting to it) IP address.

hopefully that will solve the problem.
    Yaniv Feldman
    Microsoft Security Regional Director
    Microsoft Management Expert
    MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

Yes, you are right. The Domain for which I am having the problem is a1copysystems.com. And yes, is is AD intigrated. So, I would think your solution will help me, but I'm not sure how to create this A Host in the Forward Lookup.

Now, will I also have to do this since the mail.a1copysystems.com is also hosted off site?

Timothy N. Couch

Comment

yes...

open the DNS console, then extand yoru server, extend forward lookup zone and choose a1copysystems.com.
        in the right side of the window, right-click a blank area and choose create a new "a" record.
        name the record www, and give it the ip of the server.
        do the same with mail.

if need anymore assistence, i am in the neighberhood...
        Yaniv Feldman
        MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

That worked beautifully. Problem is solved. Now I can officially take down our old server and do what needs to be done to it. Thanks for all the help.

What I'm learning is by doing, since no one has officially taught me how to do any of this, but through a little help here on this site, was able to setup the new server as a DC, with AD, DNS and DHCP.

Now, what to do with the original server that is being taken down? Originally it was going to be for hosting our web site and email, but the owners of the company have laid down the law, and made the descission that we would not host our own email and web site. Since this original server only has two 36Gb Hard Drives, and we have another server with a RAID 5 acting as our file server, we need to find an idea for this server.

Timothy N. Couch

Comment

i can advise many other server you can add to your network, but most of them are product related.

the one i most recommend is Esafe Content Filter.

you can also convert it to a Terminal server for home users if you have any.

another idea, is making that server a WUS (windows update services) server, that can make you network a lot more managable with all the win-updates thingies....
            Yaniv Feldman
            MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

Ok, perhaps I spoke too soon about the problem being resolved. It seems that it's actually acting pretty intermitant. I came into work this morning to find that the DNS wasn't resolving correctly to www.a1copysystems.com from our internal network even though I added the www host in the DNS forward lookup and pointed it to the IP address I was able to obtain from a trace route.

So, I disabled the DHCP on the //server2 so it wouldn't conflict with the DHCP on //server1. I then setup my computer with a static ip, and told it to specifically use only the ip address of //server2 for DNS. I was then checking the A1 Copy Systems web site throughout the day. It was working fine for most of the morning, but after I got back from lunch, it's not resolving.

I'm really starting to scratch my head on this one, because I would think that it should work. Do I need to add anything to the reverse lookup as well?

Comment

Working...
              X