Adding a workstation across a VLAN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a workstation across a VLAN

I have a VLAN created between two locations using HSA accounts provided by Bell Canada, our local phone company.

The VLAN is connected to the DMZ port of a of FortiGate 60 appliance on both ends. Both locations are on different networks but are statically mapped. i.e. 192.168.16.100 at one location can ping the server at 192.168.15.2 at the other location.

When I try to join a workstation to the domain from 192.168.16.0 to the Windows server at 192.168.15.2 I get an error that a domain controller could not be found.

If this was a VPN connection, in the TCP/IP properties of the workstation I would add the Windows server 192.168.15.2 to the DNS and WINS properties, but this does not work with a VLAN.

If I bypass the DMS port and connect the remote network 192.168.16.0 directly to the switch at 192.168.15.0 I can join a workstation. This means Windows needs some specific ports opened up and the DMZ on the FortiGate is blocking them.

I have tried opening up port 53 for DNS but the operation still fails. What ports does Windows need locally to joint a workstation? Netstat -an shows many ports that Server 2003 listens on but I am sure all of them do not have to be opened to join a workstation.

Thanks.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Adding a workstation across a VLAN

http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

Comment

Re: Adding a workstation across a VLAN

Great information. Thank you! Much appreciated.
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Working...
      X